Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Jean-Paul Belmondo, R.I.P.

By A (Longtime) California Reader
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 6:32 a.m.

Jean-Paul Belmondo, R.I.P.





N.S.: I watched That Man from Rio with my nana on TV, circa 1971. I recall enjoying it, but little else. I think maybe the protagonist was on the move a lot, like in a James Bond movie. I believe it made the new york times' Ten Best List that year.

Rio co-star Françoise Dorléac was completely foreign to me, and so I looked up the picture at imdb.com. Well, there's a back story, and not a happy one.

The beautiful, talented Françoise Dorléac was a very busy young actress, who was only about 21 when she made Rio.

Her kid sister followed her into the business. She wasn't half-bad looking, and she had some talent. She's still around. You may have heard of her: Her name is Catherine Deneuve.

The sisters made three pictures together.

Françoise Dorléac is, unfortunately, no longer around. In 1967, she was driving a rental car in Nice. The car flipped over, and exploded in flames, killing Dorléac. She was only 25.


1 comment:

David In TN said...

Speaking of Francoise Dorleac and Catherine Deneuve, TCM is showing The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967) Friday morning at 9:30 am ET.

The two sisters play sisters who find romance at a carnival.