Monday, February 27, 2012

New York City: DeWayne Smith is a Murder Waiting to Happen (Timothy Dixon, Too!)


Staten Island Advance caption: "DeWayne [also spelled “Dwayne”] Smith, who has a lengthy rap sheet, was released to parole last August, following a 2010 conviction for second-degree attempted assault." (NYPD mug shot)

By Nicholas Stix

I searched and searched, and found no news about this mope since February 7. This guy once tried to stomp a detective to death, and got only “attempted assault,” a laughable sentence, was paroled, violated parole, and still didn’t finish his sentence. Shades of “Jena Justice.”

The between-the-lines impression I get of this guy is that he is an ultraviolent individual with a very long rap sheet, and that’s just as an adult offender. That “2003 attempted robbery and witness tampering conviction” was from when he was 18.

The 2008 vic must have been white, as must have been Smith’s newest law enforcement vic. If they had been black, he would probably have gotten stiffer punishment, and the brass would now be pulling out all the stops to find Smith.

As it is, the NYPD brass doesn’t seem to have any interest in removing this psychopath from the streets…until he kills.

Below are some observations from The E Rant, a message board run by an old New York City copper, for old New York City coppers (by the way, they like my work on fudged crime stats (here and here).


The tragedy here is that he was only convicted of "attempted" second degree assault and that he only served one (or possibly less) year before he was Paroled YET AGAIN after a failed prior Parole AND a Parole warrant. If this is the best we can get in Staten Island, one of the better DA's office, imagine what would have happened in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

As usual nobody will be held accountable for releasing this dangerous felon back into society. Who on the Parole Board made that call, what are the consequences for him or her? We know the answer; NOTHING!!

God forbid though that someone with an order of protection gets killed, even after being arrested several times on that order, somehow than it is all OUR fault and in the Precinct concerned heads will roll.

mr henry ny

PBMN, if it was Brooklyn, Bronx, or Manhattan, it would have been dis con and time served. So look on the bright side, a year or so is good.


Many yrs ago I got a job [N.S.: A 911 call] of a dispute between 2m/b's [male blacks] on a corner. When I arrived they started walking away but were muttering sheet. I had my nightstick in my hand and told them to stop, with that 1 of them said F You WhiteBoy. I went to grab him and he swung his arm at me backwards, I then proceeded to lambaste him as hard as I could in his head multiple times. He managed to swing a boombox and get me real good, I saw stars. I bashed him repeatedly in the head and he ran off. Turned out he was on parole for manslaughter,I was out of work for 1 month. He got 30 days for assaulting me, go figure.I was happy though that I literally cracked his head in half.

The last one sounds really old. If that happened today, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly would be standing with the black guy as a “victim” on TV, the “victim” would be winning a ghetto lottery, and the copper would be going to prison.

The NYPD’s indifference to this case reminds me of a racist, black-on-white hate crime from three-and-a-half years ago, in which the victims were civilians. In a Coney Island parking lot, two mopes were trying to rape a girl (likely black or Hispanic), and a couple of East European immigrant former Marines went to her rescue. A racist black mob of 30-50 men then beat the Marines, and the brother of one Marine who ran to their aid, with an inch of their lives. They smashed a bottle over one guy’s head, and beat him and/or others with an aluminum baseball bat. One guy ended up in a coma.

One vic said, "Those in the crowd were yelling, 'Hey, white boys, you're in the 'hood now!' We were yelling back, 'We don't care - we live here!'

The only suspect you heard about, and whose picture was published in the newspapers, was one black Timothy Dixon, was allegedly weighed 240 pounds, but looked closer to 300. In any event, Dixon’s weight mattered little, because he allegedly beat one man with an aluminum baseball bat.

Another guy Ray Kelly isn't interested in catching; New York Post caption, August 4, 2008: "Timothy Dixon, 23, brutally beat a man on a Coney Island street."

At the time, the New York Post ran two stories about the racist attack and, if memory serves, the same big picture (mug shot?) of Dixon with each. The increasingly pc daily has since racially cleansed the pics from the stories. However, I downloaded one of them at the time, and thanks to advances in computer software, I was able to rescue it from my files.

The NYPD Gestapo, er, Hate Crimes Task Force, headed by Inspector Michael Osgood, determined, natch, that it wasn’t a hate crime.

I signed up for Google news alerts about Timothy Dixon, and since have gotten scores of them, but they were always about the wrong Timothy Dixon. The NYPD ignored the guy, essentially letting him walk. I guess we’ll hear about him next, when he kills someone.

* * *

Cops searching for violent parolee after attack on Staten Island cop
By John M. Annese
Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 4:29 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, February 7, 2012, 4:34 p.m.
Staten Island Advance

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A violent parolee with a history of attacking cops is on the loose after attacking a police officer who tried to pull him over in West Brighton, police allege.

Now, the NYPD is asking the public’s help in finding the parolee, who they identify as Dwayne Smith, 27.

The incident happened at about 9:25 p.m. Friday, on Bement Avenue, not far from Bement Court. Police say the officer, who is 31, pulled Smith over, and Smith attacked him and ran off.

That led police to shut down part of West Brighton as they searched for the suspect with an NYPD helicopter and canine units.

Smith, who has a lengthy rap sheet, was released to parole last August, following a 2010 conviction for second-degree attempted assault.

That stemmed from a Dec. 2008 incident, when police arrested Smith during a drug buy operation in Great Kills. Smith had an "active parole warrant" against him at the time, and fought back, repeatedly kicking a detective in the head and causing a gash that required six stitches to close, according to court papers.

The attempted assault conviction landed him a sentence of two to four years in state prison, and was slated to end his parole in December 2012.

At the time of the 2008 assault, Smith had been out on parole after a 2003 attempted robbery and witness tampering conviction, after he mugged a man at gunpoint, then tried four times to convince the victim into changing his testimony.

Police are asking anyone with information about Smith’s whereabouts to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto Crime Stoppers’ Web site at or by texting their tips to CRIMES (274637), then entering TIP577. All calls are kept confidential.

[Thanks to crime blogger deluxe Nivius Vir, from whom I got this story.]

No comments: