Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Message to the People Who, Until Earlier Today, Were (Always Visible) on My Blogroll

By Nicholas Stix

I have not cut you off. Google (aka Blogger) did that. Only minutes ago, at my dashboard, Google asked if I would like to take a look at the new look in Blogger. I hit the link, but without choosing anything. It appeared to be a scam, to get me to accept Google Chrome, for which I am constantly bombarded with solicitations. I always refuse, because I do not need additional software slowing down a brand-new pc which is unfortunately already slow, nor do I wish to have every bit of information about which sites I’ve visited mined. Google already has enough of my information, thank you very much.

And so, without further adieu, I closed that tab, without hitting anything within it. Then I re-visited this, my primary blog, only to find every bit of sidebar business, including my blogroll, gone. I tried refreshing the page, and hitting the “Compatibility View” button, to no avail.

Pre-script: I just hit on a different strategy: Hitting the title for a specific item. The sidebar stuff did show up, but the first go-round, I had to hit either the “Compatibility View” or “refresh” button, in order to see the “Sociable” and “Followers” sections.

No comments: