Thursday, March 03, 2016

“A Complete Embarrassment”: Tonight’s GOP Debate

By Anonymous Reader

The debate tonight (Thursday) was a complete embarrassment. Trump set the tone with his “large hands” comment. Rubio attacked Trump, as if he were Mitt Romney’s understudy.

Trump was perspiring noticeably tonight, and may have been broken. I’ve thought so before, and been wrong. Megan Kelly only partially scored on Trump waffling (only one of three, as I saw it). My problem is, I don’t like the other candidates one bit. So, I’ll continue to be anti-politician and support Trump—but it’s getting tougher to do so.

N.S.: I didn’t watch the debate. I’ll check out the highlight films later. However, if enough people gang up on someone, they can bring him down, no matter how strong he is.

1 comment:

David In TN said...

I know, I know. William F. Buckley's conservatism didn't do much in the long run, but I recall a WFB column from 1976. Carter and Ford would have debates that year, the first since Kennedy-Nixon in 1960. In intervening years, LBJ and Nixon refused to debate their opponents.

Ford was willing to debate Jimmy Carter, being way behind with nothing to lose.

Buckley wrote that he didn't think there should be debates as they were not relevant to how competent someone would be as President. He wrote something like "Thomas Dewey would have chopped off Franklin Roosevelt's head in a debate. Even though I'd have preferred him as president, it was not due to his obvious superiority in debate."