Monday, February 13, 2023

Hear Three Versions of an Obscure, Sweet, Unusual Burt Bacharach-Hal David Song, “Are You There with Another Girl?” from 1965 (Video, Recordings, Lyrics, Essay): Part I of the Burt Bacharach-Hal David Memorial Concert

Re-posted by N.S.


Dionne Warwick’s (1940-) Single





“Are You There with Another Girl?”
Music by Burt Bacharach (1928-2023)
Lyrics by Hal David (1921-2012)

I hear the music coming out of your radio,
Are you there with another girl, instead of me?,
I hear your laughter and there’s something I’ve got to know,
Are you there with another girl instead of me?

I’m standing on your doorstep and I don’t know what to do,
Should I ring your doorbell or just walk away,
My friends all say you were never true,
Hiding in the shadows.

I see two silhouettes in back of your windowshade,
Are you there with another girl, when I am gone?,
I can’t believe you’d break the promises that you made,
If you’re there with another girl, I can’t go on.

I only know I love you and I couldn’t say goodbye,
So if there’s another, I don’t want to know,
If you should go, I would surely die.

Love requires faith, I’ve got a lot of faith but
I hear the music comin’ out of your radio.

[Bridge]

I only know I love you and I couldn’t say goodbye,
So if there’s another, I don’t want to know,
If you should go, I would surely die,
You would never leave me, hurt me, or deceive me,
I’m a fool to doubt you, worry so about you,
Love requires faith, I’ve got a lot of faith but,
I hear the music coming out of your radio...


Dionne Warwick: Live on The Sacha Distel Show (aka Sacha Show, February 26, 1966)




Sacha Distel (1933-2004) was a handsome French singer, musician, occasional actor, and constant guest and host on variety shows in France and Great Britain. I only heard of him for the first time a day or two ago.


By @sauquoit13456

“On this day in 1965 {November 22nd} Dionne Warwick performed ‘Are You There (with Another Girl)’ on the NBC-TV evening-time popular music program, Hullabaloo... Two weeks later ‘Are You There’ entered Billboard’s Top 100 chart at position #81, six weeks later it would peak at #39 {for 1 week} and it spent ten weeks on the Top 100... And it peaked at #13 on the Canadian RPM Singles chart and #35 on Billboard’s Hot R&B Singles chart...

“Between 1962 and 1998 the East Orange, NJ native had fifty-five records on the Top 100 chart, eleven make the Top 10 with two* reaching #1, ‘Then Came You’ with the Spinners for one week in 1974 and ‘That’s What Friends are for’ with Elton John, Gladys Knight, & Stevie Wonder for four weeks in 1986...

“Dionne Warwick, born Marie Dionne Warrick, will celebrate her 79th birthday next month on December 12th, 2019... *

“She just missed having a third #1 record when her “(Theme from) The Valley of the Dolls” peaked at #2 {for 4 weeks} in 1967, and the first 3 weeks it was at #2, the #1 record was ‘Love is Blue’ by Paul Mauriat, and for its fourth week at #2, “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay’ by Otis Redding was in the top spot…”


Deacon Blue: Lorraine McIntosh, 1990





Producer: Jon Kelly
Engineer: Robin Rankin

Deacon Blue is a Scottish musical group that I only heard of for the first time a day or two ago. A commenter mentioned them at Steve Sailer’s blog.

Their heyday was 1985-1994. However, they have had numerous reunions and cut several albums since 1994.

Its singers, Ricky Ross (1957-) and Lorraine McIntosh (1964-), fell in love and married, and have had either three or four children, depending on the source.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Light,semi-jazzy song.A little too quirky to be a big hit,but only Bacharach-David could have made it sound like that.

Why don't songs sound like that anymore?

You know why--the people like Bacharach/David were pushed aside as rap/grunge music came in.

Now,they're both expired and all we have(which is a lot)are the songs.

--GRA

-

Anonymous said...

By the way,"Love is Blue" was the first 45 I ever purchased.There were so many instrumentals at the time and I was into the melody more than the words as a kid."Grazin' in the Grass","Classical Gas" and many more.

No words to try and figure out,lol.

The second 45 I bought,the same day,was "Bottle of Wine",by the Fireballs--a hit in Grand Rapids and a semi-hit nationwide.
The guy that owned the record store couldn't believe I wanted that record.Certainly not a classic and the complete opposite of Paul Mauriat's #1 orchestral masterpiece.Then "Windy","Like to Get to Know You,""Light my Fire","Sugar Sugar" from Saturday cartoons.

Great eclectic supply of music to listen to.

--GRA

Anonymous said...

Dionne Warwick an "approved" negress singer. At least she did do rap.