Wednesday, March 06, 2024

About my absence

By Nicholas Stix
I had a stroke on January 14th. However, I didn’t seek treatment for it until Monday, March 4th.

I could “explain” why, but much of it would explain nothing. However, one of what I consider the stroke’s most striking aspects was that it was not a bolt out of the blue. Far from it.

Actually, it was an extraordinarily slow-developing stroke. Consider that about 12 years ago, The Boss told me, “Just start your sentences; I’ll finish them.”

After all, we’ve been reading each other’s minds, and finishing each other’s sentences for about forever. That can be dangerous!

On November 8, I was walking on the boulevard. From the other side of the street, a complete stranger calls out to me. It’s an old lady (say 60), wearing a light blue, kung flu mugger’s mask, walking leaning on a black tubular, steel prescription cane. She calls out,

Her: Are you o.k.?

Me: I’m on my way to my doctor.

Her: I hope you make it.

And she wasn’t unique. Maybe I need to trade in my official doctors for a bunch of strangers on the street.

I spent parts of three days, Monday through Wednesday, in the city hospital in Coney Island (for a total of 49 hours), Brooklyn, because it’s much bigger than the hospital out here, and has a cardiac unit.

“And there’s Uncle Joe, he’s a movin’ kinda slow, at the Junction, Petticoat Junction!”



8 comments:

David In TN said...

Nicholas,

To my partner in crime and comrade in arms, I hope you are all right.

David In TN

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear that,of course,but I suspected something serious.

I couldn't tell from your writing.

There are strokes and there are strokes.TIAs can be handled to some extent at home,by taking extra aspirin during symptoms.I did that for my mom a couple times and it worked.The hospital I took her to did nothing further as the clot dissolved.

Best wishes,my friend.I'll just say one thing:Heed what the doctors say--to give your body a chance to recover--and also lower the chances of having another similar incident.

Take care.


--GRA

Anonymous said...

I hope you had nurses who looked like Betty Jo,Bobby Jo and Billie Jo taking care of you.

--GRA

Anonymous said...

I had actually looked on VDARE a few times for any news about you.I had it figured out to a great extent.Get more sleep too(adding to my list of tips).

--GRA

AbolishTenure said...

Whoa! Close encounters of the healthcare system kind. Don't go all Fetterman on us now.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon 100 % recovery. You web site is needed.

Anonymous said...

Is that David Fetterman?(kidding).

--GRA

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this. There are few people left who care about the culture of the past, and fewer still who aren't Leftists. GET WELL SOON! -RM (You could try Ivermectin- if it works against spike proteins, maybe it'll work against blood clots)