Thursday, March 30, 2023

Dead Link to Comments

N.S.: I am posting this correspondence to determine who else is having this problem. (I love reading comment threads.) I have gotten numerous complaints from readers about difficulties they've experiences trying to read the blog. Occasionally, I am at fault, for posting an article with all sorts of "fruit salad" code which proves incompatible with the google system. At other times, I try to fix the code, which becomes a Chaplinesque disaster. However, I have learned to cut through the fruit salad, typically by deleting the text, and replacing it with the article's URL. More and more, I suspect mischief on the part of my google minder.

Any suggestions?
 

Longtime Reader (LTR)
Thu, Mar 30, 2023 1:54 p.m.
Dead Link to Comments

Dear Mr. Stix,

The link to the five comments on this story from your site won't respond when I click on it. Could you fix it?

Thanks.

LTR


On Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 11:02:15 AM PDT, <add1dda@aol.com> wrote:

Dear LTR,

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have any problem accessing the comments, but of course that's meaningless to you. It could be a form of shadowbanning.

I've gotten various complaints from readers, including at least one who at times can't read stories at all. And three to four times a day, I'll post something, google will tell me it's been "published," and it will immediately be reverted to "draft." I am convinced that my google "minder" is engaging in mischief.

What browser are you using?

Again, my apologies.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Stix


Longtime Reader (LTR)
Thu, Mar 30, 2023 2:22 pm

Re: Dead Link to Comments

I tried Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera: none worked, alas.

I like reading viewer comments. Steve Sailer at unz.com has an especially interesting "commentariat" who follow his reports.

It's too bad that Paul Craig Roberts doesn't allow any comments on his site. While there are a huge number of nutcases at unz.com, I still think that he's a sorehead for not allowing any responses from readers.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are some issues occasionally,but usually if my tablet is having trouble,my smartphone is fine--and vice versa.

My smartphone has one particular problem.After clicking a story,the entire post disappears--except for the headline--but on my tablet,it's fine.

On my tablet,something must happen in the way the postings are placed .They aren't formatted/constructed right and the only way to access and get into the site is to click a slightly off kilter posting in the upper right corner.Once that's done,you can choose what other stories you wish to read.It happens about 5-10% of the time.

--GRA

Anonymous said...

I too have observed repeated instances of not being able to access or make comments.

Anonymous said...

jerry pdx
Right now I can read the stories but can't access the comment on the main story page. However, if I go to the right archive column and click on the story, then I can access comments and post a comment. It's done this before and seems to last a few days but then goes back to normal.