Thursday, August 06, 2020

An Arizona Superintendent on Safely Re-Opening Schools: "It's a fantasy"

-----Original Message-----
From: The Washington Post <email@washingtonpost.com>
To: add1dda@aol.com
Sent: Wed, Aug 5, 2020 6:35 p.m.

An Arizona Superintendent on Safely Re-Opening Schools: "It's a fantasy"

A collection of personal stories from the pandemic.
The Washington Post | Democracy Dies in Darkness
Support our work
 
Get one year for $29
(Caitlin O'Hara for The Washington Post)
VOICES FROM THE PANDEMIC

'I'm sorry, but it's a fantasy'

Jeff Gregorich, superintendent, on trying to reopen his schools safely

As told to Eli Saslow
This is my choice, but I'm starting to wish that it wasn't. I don't feel qualified. I've been a superintendent for 20 years, so I guess I should be used to making decisions, but I keep getting lost in my head. I'll be in my office looking at a blank computer screen, and then all of the sudden I realize a whole hour's gone by. I'm worried. I'm worried about everything. Each possibility I come up with is a bad one. 
The governor has told us we have to open our schools to students on August 17th, or else we miss out on five percent of our funding. I run a high-needs district in middle-of-nowhere Arizona. We're 90 percent Hispanic and more than 90 percent free-and-reduced lunch. These kids need every dollar we can get. But covid is spreading all over this area and hitting my staff, and now it feels like there's a gun to my head. I already lost one teacher to this virus. Do I risk opening back up even if it's going to cost us more lives? Or do we run school remotely and end up depriving these kids? Read more
 

More from The Post

More voices from the pandemic
People share their personal stories about covid-19.
Read more »
Perspective | As parents realize how badly the U.S. botched the next school year, we're furious
We sheltered at home in part so schools could open safely. Then leaders did nothing.
Read more »
Ten bucks left, no place to go
How the pandemic and a broken unemployment system are upending people's lives.
Read more »
 



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"We're 90 percent Hispanic and more than 90 percent free-and-reduced lunch."

There it is. Right there. Not the learning process but the lunch.