Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam, and the Zebra Killings

Sent: Tue, Aug 25, 2020 5:15 p.m.

Sins of Omission
Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam, and the Zebra Killings
By Roger D. McGrath
March 2006
Chronicles Magazine

Whenever whites commit crimes against blacks, the dastardly deeds make headlines and are featured on nightly news programs. The president wrings his hands and makes speeches about racism. The Promise Keepers hug one another, cry, and confess to a newly minted transgression, the "sin of racism." Western Europeans look down their long noses at us. Jesse Jackson and other black race hustlers make appearances on radio and television. Christian churches ask their congregations to atone for collective guilt. Colleges announce new courses on race relations. Textbooks record the events for posterity. There is no end to the paroxysm of self-flagellation.

Meanwhile, the black crime wave against whites continues.  For every violent crime whites commit against blacks, blacks commit 13 against whites.  Most of the crimes, many horrific, are mentioned only briefly by the news media or go unreported.  Nor do they find their way into textbooks.  While nearly every American is familiar with the dragging death of James Byrd in Texas, very few know that whites were killed by blacks in a similar manner before and after the Byrd killing.  Neither can more than a few Americans identify the Zebra killings of the 1970's. I would not be surprised if most Americans thought it a reference to a slaughter in an African game park.
The Zebra killings were among the bloodiest string of murders in American history, claiming at least 15 dead and 9 wounded in San Francisco alone.  The total murdered in California may have exceeded 70.  The victims were selected for one reason only: They were white.  The Zebra perpetrators were Death Angels, a group of Black Muslims determined to exterminate the white race.  They were awarded "wings" for their murders.  White children were considered the most valuable targets, followed by white women, and then white men.  Black Muslims subscribe to a theology of black supremacy—something rarely mentioned by the media when describing Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.  Whites are "blue-eyed devils," an evil race created thousands of years ago by Yacub, a wicked black scientist.
The pogrom against the blue-eyed devils began on an October night in 1973 in San Francisco.  Two officers in a patrol car, Ben McAllister and Bruce Marovich, came upon a van parked on Chestnut Street in the North Beach district.  Standing alongside the van were three black men, well dressed in suits and ties.  They told the cops that they had just finished changing a flat tire.  A decade earlier, the patrolmen would have gotten out of their car and asked,
"Why aren't your hands dirty?  Where's the flat tire?  What do you have in the back of that van?"
 But the SFPD had changed its procedures during the late 60's, and officers now lived in fear of exceeding their bounds.  McAllister and Marovich moved on.
There was something in the back of the van on Chestnut Street, but it wasn't a flat tire.  The something was a black man and a bound white couple, Richard and Quita Hague.  The Hagues were driven to an industrial section of the city, where Quita was sexually assaulted, then hacked to pieces by the Death Angels using machetes.  Richard was similarly hacked.  They were both left for dead.  Nearly decapitated, Quita was indeed dead, but Richard regained consciousness.  Although his hands were tied behind his back, his body soaked in blood, and the skin of his face and head hanging in strips, he stumbled to a nearby street.  Witnesses were aghast.  Thus began the Zebra killings.
A week later, the Death Angels pumped several bullets into Frances Rose as she stopped her car.  She died instantly.  Week by week, other whites were attacked.  Most, such as 81-year-old janitor and Italian immigrant Ilario Bertucci, or 19-year-old Neal Moynihan, a fifth-generation Irish-American resident of San Francisco, were relatively unknown.  Others, such as Art Agnos, a politician and future mayor of San Francisco, and Nelson Shields, the son of a wealthy DuPont executive, were of some prominence.
Agnos was one of the few to survive an attack.  Shot twice in the back, Agnos suffered damage to his kidneys, spleen, and lungs.  Shields was also shot in the back, but the handsome 23-year-old died instantly.  His father, Nelson "Pete" Shields, took a leave of absence from DuPont to work full-time for the National Council to Control Handguns.  He quickly came to chair the organization and later renamed it Handgun Control Inc.  He made it clear from the beginning that he wanted handguns prohibited.  He said nothing about the Death Angels, Black Muslims, the Nation of Islam, black crime—or machetes.
As the death toll mounted, tourism and nightlife in San Francisco declined precipitously.  Kevin Mullen, then a lieutenant, who would eventually rise to deputy chief of the SFPD, said that patrolling the streets was eerie. 
"The city was like a ghost town as dark fell," he said.  As a consequence, Mayor Joseph Alioto announced Operation Zebra: Hundreds of cops would patrol the city and stop and question those who fit the profile of the suspects.  This meant young black men.  More than 500 of them were stopped and questioned before a federal judge, ruling on a suit sponsored by the NAACP and the ACLU, declared the profiling unconstitutional.
The SFPD offered a $30,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the killers.  A young black man, Anthony Harris, responded almost immediately—and he had information that only someone who had witnessed the killings could have known.  Moreover, he described the torture-murder (with a knife, a meat cleaver, and a machete) of a homeless white man that had not yet appeared in the newspapers.  Eventually, four men were convicted and sentenced to life in prison.  There were several times that number involved who escaped punishment.  "The Zebra killings were a nightmare for the average cop working the streets of San Francisco," retired SFPD lieutenant Lou Calabro recently told me. 
"The nightmare for America is that this tragedy is essentially denied as ever happening."
Source: Roger D. McGrath
By James Lubinskas
FrontPageMagazine.com | August 30, 2001
MOST SERIAL KILLINGS in America take on a life of their own through movies, books and documentaries. The crimes of Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer and The Son Sam are still well remembered years after they committed. Yet there is one set of serial killings that been almost completely forgotten and is rarely mentioned popular culture.
The Zebra Killings occurred in the Francisco bay area between 1972 1974 and left 71 people dead. They were dubbed the Zebra because of the radio channel used the police investigating the case (channel Z). The name would take on more sinister meaning as it became apparent that a group of blacks was systematically and killing whites simply because of the color of their skin.
Zebra (1979) was written by crime writer Clark Howard and remains the definitive book on the murders. Using court records, police reports, witnesses and interviews with the killers themselves, Howard was able to piece together the horrid details of the murders and the unrelenting hatred that inspired the killers.
The majority of the attacks were carried out by five members of a group within Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam called the "Death Angels." Jesse Lee Cooks, J.C. Simon, Larry Green, Manuel Moore and Anthony Harris were part of this group which believed that whites were created 3,000 years ago by a black mad scientist named Yacub who wanted a race of inferiors to rule over. Death Angels believed they could earn "points" towards going to heaven when they died if they killed whites. For them whites were not human beings but "grafted snakes," "blue-eyed devils" and "white motherf-----s."
Howard describes the vicious and cowardly nature of the attacks, which were made at gunpoint and mostly carried out against women and weak or old men who could not fight back. The first victims in San Francisco were a couple named Richard and Quita Hague. The Hagues were out for an after dinner walk when they were abducted at gunpoint and forced into a van. They were bound and Richard was beaten over the head with a lug wrench and unconscious. Quita was sexually molested and hacked with a machete. While begging for her life she was decapitated Before leaving, the attackers hacked at the face of the still unconscious man. Miraculously, he survived and was able to give valuable information to the police.
Brutality and a lack of remorse on the part of the criminals mark the attacks. Vincent Wollin was shot in the back killed on his 69th birthday. Mildred Hosler, an obese, older woman was shot while frantically trying to get away her younger, faster attacker. Ilario Bertucci, a 135-pound, 81-year-old man, was killed while walking home from work. Marietta DiGirolamo, a 5'1" white woman was and killed on her way to a neighborhood bar. In none of these cases did the victims do anything to provoke murderers. They simply had white skin and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
There were even some high profile victims. Art Agnos, would later go on to become mayor of San Francisco, was shot and almost killed by the Death Angels. A member of California Commission on Aging, Agnos was attending community meeting in a black neighborhood to discuss building a government funded health clinic in the area. In same neighborhood the killers were hunting for whites. the meeting let out, Agnos stopped to talk with two women. One of the killers came up behind him and shot him twice in the back. The bullets ripped apart his lungs, spleen and kidneys. Bystanders called an ambulance and Agnos barely survived.
Lou Calabro was a street patrol sergeant with the San Francisco Police Department at the time and notes that as the murders added up, the SFPD came under increasing pressure to stop the killings:
"In what was known as Operation Zebra, more police were put on the street and security checks were beefed up. Despite the increased police presence, the attacks did stop. They would often happen when we were on full alert Some officers suspected a black cop who was a member of 'Officers for Justice,' a black police officers association formed to get more promotions for themselves, was tipping off the killers, though this was never proven. We were very frustrated at not being able to stop the killings."
The increased police presence had the effect of angering the black community. Twenty years before the Los Angeles riots and O.J. Simpson trial, blacks were already statements to the press that showed a stunning lack of remorse for what was happening to their white neighbors. Howard quotes from interviews conducted by the San Francisco Examiner in 1974. Among the responses by blacks were, "I don't feel comfortable with all the around. But then, I never have felt safe around them." A young housewife stated, "I'm really glad the police concerned for a change. I just wonder if they would be much concerned if it were black people getting killed." black lawyer added, "I commend the police for their up of the force, but I hope it's not just directed at blacks. I hope blacks aren't being harassed."
Still other blacks blamed "unemployment" and "oppression for the attacks. One man said,
 "the madness that drives black men to kill innocent people . . . involves a sickness that is American as apple pie."
Black Panther leader Bobby Seale declared,
"Every Black man in the Bay area is in danger of losing his life."
The Reverend Cecil Williams claimed the entire black community was "under a police state could erupt into a racial war."
Howard observes, "although they were responding only to a question about Zebra, it was curious that none of the blacks took the occasion to condemn the unknown street killers express sympathy for the victims."
Detectives Gus Coreris and John Fotinos were veterans of the Homicide Unit and led the investigation which eventually cracked the case. Though they both suspected the Black Muslims, it was hard to get any information on the possible suspects because of a ban surveillance of religious institutions. Moreover, the closed atmosphere of the NOI made it hard to get spies into the organization.
Coreris and Fotinos were able to link the murders because the killers were using the same weapon for each attack. They were also able to put together information descriptions from those who survived such as Agnos and Hague. The case was solved when one of the members of the Death Angels came forward with information on the other killers. A total of eight black men with previous records were arrested. All were members of the Death Angels. Though this group committed most of the killings they do not account for all of the criminals. Some are free to this day.
The Nation of Islam paid for the legal representation of every one of the killers except Cooks, who immediately admitted to his murders. The Death Angels are still in prison but are up for parole in 2002. The European American Issues Forum (EAIF), headed by Calabro, has pledged to attend the parole hearings and work to insure that the killers spend the rest of their lives in jail. In addition, on October 19 of this year, the EAIF will hold its fifth annual Zebra Victims Memorial Service on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. As with the previous five ceremonies, government and community leaders such as Mayor Willie Brown and the leader of the local NAACP will be invited to attend. They have declined to attend any of the ceremonies so far and are not likely to show up this year. Indeed, the lack of publicity and recognition of these racially motivated hate crimes is consistent with the efforts of government agencies, civil rights groups and the media to portray European-Americans as the only perpetrators of hate crimes.
This same type of black-on-white serial murder occurred in the Miami area in the early 1990's. The racist cult of Yahweh-ben-Yahweh began systematically killing whites in the same manner as the Death Angels. Whites were again described as subhuman "devils" by the cult leaders who urged their black followers to murder random whites. In what was strictly local news, seven whites were ritually slaughtered before the cult was stopped. The leaders of Yahweh-ben-Yahweh are also up for parole in 2002.
It has been almost 30 years since the Zebra Killings and, with the exception of Clark Howard's book, little has been written about the murders. That is why they have disappeared from the public consciousness. At least filmmaker who tried to get funding for a documentary on the killings has said that producers will not touch it, as it involves the taboo of BLACK-ON-WHATE RACISM. Needless to say, there is no such taboo on discussing white-on-black racism. But a society that memorializes Emmett Till Medgar Evers and James Byrd should also make room the victims of the Zebra Killings. Justice demands it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paleoconservative James P. Lubinskas has written for Chronicles, The AIM Report, American Renaissance, The Social Contract, VDARE, The Nationalist Times, Patrol and other journals.

SPAN OF KILLINGS: 1973 – 1974
The Zebra murders were a number of connected murders committed by a black supremacist serial killer ring which took place in San Francisco, California from 1973 until 1974, and which left at least 16 people dead, and from eight (Howard) to ten (additions by Scheeres, Crime Library, and Cohen and Sanders) wounded. They were dubbed "the Zebra murders" because of the police radio unit identifier code ("Z") used by the San Francisco Police Department officers investigating this case. (Howard, SFPD Radio Unit Identifiers - 1974) The San Francisco murders appear connected to a much larger group of murders, upwards of over 100, from throughout California. (Howard, CA Dept. of Justice Task Force)
·         1 The Death Angels
·         2 The first wave of murders
·         3 Reaction to the murders
·         4 The killings resume
·         5 Reaction to the second wave
·         6 Arrest and conviction
·         7 References
·         8 Further reading
·         9 See also
·         10 External links
The Zebra murders were the work of one unit of the Death Angels, a group within the black-power, pseudo-islamic group, the Nation of Islam. According to the NOI's beliefs, the white race was created by a black mad scientist named Yakub, who, some say, wanted a race of inferiors to rule over. Furthermore, the Death Angels believed that they could earn "points" towards Paradise when they died if they killed as many whites as possible. The NOI's teachings presented whites not as human beings, but variously as "blue-eyed devils," "white devils," and "grafted snakes."
Candidates would be invited to secret meetings at the NOI-owned Black Self-Help Moving and Storage; to attain the status of Death Angel, each man was expected to kill either nine white men, five white women or four white children. After attaining this goal, a pair of black wings would be attached to his photograph and pinned up in an upstairs room of the self-help building. Although killing and the spread of terror were their main goals, death angel candidates would often use machetes to torture victims over long periods, and some women were also the victims of rape.
While they are known to history, the Zebra murderers in San Francisco seem to have been incompetent in their work compared to the other NOI Death Angel murder squads operating elsewhere in California. The San Francisco group suffered from non-terror related criminality (theft, robbery, rape) petty rivalries and infighting. This may have led to a number of their members eventual capture and conviction. None of the Death Angel murderers outside of San Francisco, representing the vast majority of the related killings statewide, were ever caught or convicted. (Howard, CA Dept. of Justice Task Force)
On October 19, 1973 a couple, Richard and Quita Hague, were kidnapped by a group of men and forced into a white van as they took an after-dinner stroll near their home in Telegraph Hill. Quita was fondled by two men and then nearly decapitated by a third with a machete. One of the men who had fondled Quita then similarly hacked Richard and left him for dead, but he survived.
Ten days later, on October 29, Frances Rose was repeatedly shot by a man who blocked her car's path and demanded a ride, as she was driving up to the entrance gate of the University of California Extension.
On November 9, a Pacific Gas & Electric clerk, Robert Stoeckmann, was assaulted by another man but was able to take the gun away and fire back. The man, Leroy Doctor, was later arrested and convicted of assault with a deadly weapon.
Saleem "Sammy" Erekat, a Jordanian Arab Muslim, was bound and shot execution-style behind his grocery store on November 25.
On December 11, Paul Dancik, a 26-year old artist, was shot three times in the chest by a man while he was making a call at a payphone.
Two days later, on the evening of December 13, future San Francisco mayor Art Agnos, then a member of the California Commission on Aging, was attending a meeting in Potrero Hill. Agnos was in the largely black neighborhood to discuss building a government-funded health clinic in the area. After the meeting ended, Agnos was talking to two women when a man shot him twice in the back. He barely survived the attack.
During the same evening, Marietta DiGirolamo was walking along Divisadero when she was shoved into a doorway by a man and shot twice in the chest, and when the shots spun her around, once in the back. She died.
On December 20, "Angela Roselli" (not her real name), a 20-year old college student, was shot three times — one bullet hit her spine — near her apartment by one of two men. She survived.
An 81-year-old janitor, Ilario Bertuccio, was shot that same evening on his way home from work in the Bay View district. He died almost instantly after four shots to the shoulder and chest.
On December 22, two more victims died within six minutes of each other. Neal Moynihan was killed while walking near the Civic Center after doing his Christmas shopping. A man walked in front of him and shot him in the face, neck, and heart. The killer (or perhaps a different killer; Cohen and Sanders) then chased down Mildred Hosler as she was heading to her bus stop, and shot her four times.
The killings stopped for five weeks, then resumed with a vengeance on January 28, 1974 with five more shootings: Tana Smith, Vincent Wollin, John Bambic, Jane Holly and Roxanne McMillian. Wollin had celebrated his 69th birthday that day. Only one of the victims, Roxanne McMillian, survived, although she would use a wheelchair for the rest of her life. (A sixth victim that night whom Cohen and Sanders tie to the killers, Thomas Bates, a hitchhiker who survived being shot three times near Emeryville, had earlier been mentioned by Howard, but not counted by him in that night's totals.)
The murders caused panic. People would try to find safety in numbers whenever they would go out, and as much as possible, avoid going out at night. In reaction, an increased police presence was ordered throughout the city.
The police were baffled by the lack of motive in the killings. Brutality and an apparent lack of remorse on the part of the gunmen marked the attacks. The common denominator in all the killings was that all the killers were black, and most of the victims were white.
Based on what was initially known about the killings, there was a common pattern. In a hit-and-run shooting, the gunman would walk up to his victim, shoot the victim repeatedly at close range, and flee on foot. Another link to the shootings was the killers' preference for a 32-caliber pistol, based on the slugs recovered from the victims and the shell casings found at the crime scenes.
As a result, a special task force was formed to try to solve and stop the murders, led by Detectives Gus Coreris and John Fotinos (1925-2006). Police Chief Donald Scott assigned the "Z" frequency for their exclusive use. Since the letter Z is known in common phonetic use as "Zebra" they became known as the Zebra task force, and the murders became known as the Zebra murders.
On April 1, 1974, two Salvation Army cadets were walking toward Mayfair market just two blocks away from the Salvation Army School for Officers' Training Center when a black man who was following them overtook them, wheeled around, fired four shots at them, and fled. Thomas Rainwater died; Linda Story survived. Two policemen arrived at the scene within 15 seconds, and although a manhunt was initiated in an effort to find the killer, it proved to be futile. They suspected that the Zebra killers had struck again, because of the 32-caliber shell casings found on the sidewalk.
Easter Sunday, two other people, Ward Anderson and Terry White, were wounded while waiting for a bus.
April 16, 23-year old Nelson T. Shields IV, heir to a wealthy Du Pont executive, accompanied a friend who lived in the Ingleside district to buy a rug. They went back to the friend's house on Vernon St., and while Shields was working at the back of the station wagon they had borrowed to transport the rug, he was shot repeatedly. A witness later testified that she saw a black man rushing up Vernon St. at the time of the shooting. The police again suspected that it was a Zebra murder because of the .32-caliber shell casings found at the scene.[1]
Once again the new wave of killings brought the city to a state of shock as people took the same precautions as they had when the first wave took place.
The city also took a beating economically as tourists stayed away. Streets were deserted at night even at North Beach, a neighborhood known to have a seven-nights-a-week nightlife.
Police decided to take drastic measures. Inspector Gus Coreris gambled, dictating generic suspect "descriptions" to SFPD artist Hobart "Hoby" Nelson, who drew two sketches, based on them. The sketches were then distributed to the media and to SFPD officers, none of whom knew the sketches were generic imaginings. Police then fanned out, stopping and questioning 500 young men who resembled the description of the killer: a black man with a short Afro and a narrow chin.
This action by the police provoked criticism from the African-American community. Acting on a suit sponsored by the NAACP and the ACLU, U.S. District Judge Alfonso J. Zirpoli ruled that the widespread profiling of African-Americans was unconstitutional, and the operation was suspended.
The ruling was a blow to the SFPD, which felt crippled in its efforts to stop the Zebra killers. As a result, it resorted to contributing to a reward that, through several private and public donors, totaled $30,000, for information leading to the arrest of the killers.
When Anthony Harris, an employee at the Black Self-Help Moving and Storage in Market Street, and Death Angel candidate, saw the sketches in the newspaper, his active imagination concluded that one of the sketches was of him. Seeing the reward as a way of helping his family, gaining immunity from prosecution, and securing a new identity, he called the police and told them about the "Death Angels."
Harris revealed the existence of the group to the police, and told them of a homicide which did not make the papers; it was that of a homeless man who they kidnapped from Ghirardelli Square. They brought the man to Black Self-Help, gagged and tied him up, and while he was still conscious, took turns hacking away his limbs. Harris told the detectives that they dumped the body into San Francisco Bay. He told his story in such detail that the police were convinced of its veracity.
Harris provided the police with names, dates, addresses and details — enough information to issue warrants against the suspects.
On May 1, simultaneous raids during the pre-dawn hours were made, resulting in the arrests of Larry Craig Green and J.C.X. Simon in an apartment building at 844 Grove Street. More suspects were arrested at Black Self-Help. No one offered resistance when arrested.
Of the seven arrested that day, four were released for lack of evidence.
Mayor Alioto announced the news of the raids and announced that the killings were perpetrated by the Death Angels. Almost at once, local black leaders denounced the arrests, claiming that they had racist undertones. Black Muslim leader John Muhammad, the minister of Mosque #26 in San Francisco, denied the allegations of a Black Muslim conspiracy to kill whites.
However, there was enough evidence to prove the case against the "Death Angels". The trial started on March 3, 1975. Efforts by the defense to discredit Harris were to no avail, as he spilled all the grisly details over 12 days of testimony. In addition, the Zebra team presented evidence of a .32 caliber Beretta automatic pistol that was recovered from the backyard of a home near the scene of the last murder. They were able to demonstrate the chain of ownership of the gun to one of the workers at Black Self-Help. They also showed that it was used in many of the murders.
Based on the testimony of 108 witnesses (including Harris), 8000 pages totaling 3.5 million words worth of transcripts, and culminating in what was then the longest criminal trial in California history, Larry Green, J.C.X. Simon, Manuel Moore and Jessie Lee Cooks were convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder after an 18-hour deliberation by the jury in 1976. Each was sentenced to life imprisonment.
While the Zebra killings were officially solved, some members of the Zebra task force suspected that at least 71 murders throughout California could have been the work of various other Death Angels squads. Since many victims were drawn from the ranks of the homeless or hitchhikers, there is no certainty about the actual numbers. Today the murders have been largely forgotten — even within San Francisco — despite the enormity of the crimes when they happened and the great effect they had on the city.
Only two books on the subject have been published, Zebra (1979), by Clark Howard which is currently out of print and The Zebra Murders: A Season of Killing, Racial Madness, and Civil Rights (2006) by Prentice Earl Sanders and Bennett Cohen.
1.     ^ Time Magazine. "Fear in the Streets of San Francisco", published April 29, 1974. Retrieved August 28, 2006 from [1]. Also found in Court TV Crime Library, retrieved August 28, 2006.
 Further reading
·         Howard, Clark. Zebra: The true account of the 179 days of terror in San Francisco (New York: Richard Marek Publishers, 1979).
·         Sanders, Prentice Earl and Bennett Cohen. Zebra Murders: A Season of Killing, Racial Madness, and Civil Rights (New York: Arcade Publishing, 2006).
By Nicholas Stix
Originally published on October 22, 2006
The three men went out hunting that night. But their prey was human. White humans, to be exact. Only they didn't consider whites human, but rather "grafted snakes," "white devils," and "blue-eyed devils."

They grabbed three children, and tried to get them into their van, but the resourceful kids ran away.

The children were Michele Denise Carrasco, 11, Marie Stewart, 12, and Marie's 15-year-old brother, Frank.

The angry, frustrated hunters went back to their van, and sought after new quarry. They found it in the form of a happy married couple, out for an after-dinner walk near their home on Telegraph Hill. The wife ran away, but when one of the hunters put a gun to her husband's chest and said he'd kill him, she stopped and returned. Her devotion cost her her life.

In the van, the hunters brutally assaulted the husband and wife, and two of the hunters (Cooks and Green) robbed the husband and wife, and two (Cooks and Harris) sexually molested the wife. Parking near some deserted railroad tracks in the Potrero District, the hunters had at husband and wife alike, taking turns hacking their faces with a machete, and nearly decapitating the wife, before leaving them for dead.

The couple was named Quita and Richard Hague. The date was October 20, 1973.

Quita Hague was dead, but a hideously mutilated Richard Hague miraculously survived.

The hunters that night were Jesse Lee Cooks, Larry Green, and Anthony Cornelius Harris. Cooks, Green, and Harris were members of the Black Muslims (now known as the Nation of Islam), who had been recruited, along with dozens of other Black Muslims, to randomly murder whites.

That was the official beginning of the "Zebra" Killings, which would be carried out on the streets of San Francisco, and would hold the city by the bay – one of the most beautiful in the world – in a state of terrified siege for the next six months. Or rather, would hold white San Franciscans in a state of terror. As black residents told reporters, they felt just fine, thank you.

The Zebra Killings were so called because the San Francisco Police Department reserved radio frequency "Z" ("Zebra" in military and police parlance) for all dispatches that might be related to the serial killings.

It would be months before the SFPD would connect the Quita Hague killing to the Zebra case. That is because although the Hague case had in common with the San Francisco killings and attempted murders to come, that it was a random black-on-white murder by youngish black men who stood out for being conservatively dressed and groomed, the cases that formed the profile that stood out to the detectives in the SFPD Homicide Detail were all carried out with a .32 pistol, and did not involve robbery or sexual molestation. (Youngish black men who were conservatively dressed and groomed were and are hallmarks of the Nation of Islam (NOI).)

Between October 20, 1973 and April 16, 1974, Jesse Lee Cooks, Larry Green, and Anthony Cornelius Harris, as well as J.C. (aka J.C.X.) Simon and Manuel Moore, murdered at least 15 whites and grievously wounded at least another nine whites in failed murder attempts. In at least one case ("John Doe #169"), the devils kidnapped a homeless white man, took him to Black Self-Help Moving and Storage, the NOI-owned business where all of the above-named killers but Cooks worked, bound and gagged their victim, and began chopping off his body parts while he was still alive. (Cooks worked at the NOI-owned Shabazz Bakery; according to Anthony Harris, the NOI assassins had butchered at least one other white victim at Black Self-Help.)

One of the detectives who worked the Zebra detail told me that one of the cases in which the dismembered white murder victim could not be identified was known as "the turkey case," since the victim, who was found on Ocean Beach minus his feet and hands (and head?), was trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Jesse Lee Cooks also raped twice and sodomized (at least) one white woman, whom he had planned on murdering, as well, but who succeeded in maneuvering him, much to his consternation, into letting her live.

Black Self-Help was managed by Tom Manney, an NOI member who, according to a different detectives from the case was a former St. Ignatius High School and City College football star. According to Clark Howard, the author of the definitive work on the Zebra killings, Zebra: The true account of the 179 days of terror in San Francisco (1979), Manney lent his black Cadillac to the murderers, who used it in several of the killings. According to Howard, an illegal .32 pistol that Manney owned was the murder weapon in several of the killings. Manney was arrested for the Zebra Killings, but released for – in the DA's opinion – lack of evidence.

One of the detectives who worked the case told me that more recently, Manney was charged with insurance fraud. The detective recalled that in addition to serial murder, Black Self-Help was a burglary operation. So much for the NOI's self-image as a clean-cut, racial supremacist religion preaching racial annihilation while refraining from common crimes such as robbery, burglary, and rape.

In addition to Manney, Clarence Jamerson, Dwight Stallings and a fourth man whose identity I could not determine, were also arrested in the Zebra Killings, but released for lack of evidence. The fourth man was inexplicably given the pseudonym "Jasper Childs" by Zebra author Clark Howard.

Stallings was arrested by Inspector Rotea Gilford, who was the first black promoted to the SFPD Homicide Bureau. Gilford, who had grown up with Stallings, was certain that the latter had blood on his hands, but was unable to prove it. Later, while working as a longshoreman, Stallings died in a work accident.

After Gilford retired from the SFPD, he became a close political advisor to his old friend, former California State Assembly speaker and then-San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown. Gilford has since unfortunately died from diabetes. Last year, Gus Coreris remembered Gilford as "a good policeman," the highest praise one cop will give another.
As one of the inspectors from the SFPD Homicide Detail team that ran the case told me on Thursday, investigators at the California Department of Justice's Bureau of CII and the FBI had been quietly compiling material on similar murders up and down the state of California and the East Coast, respectively, since 1970. (A detective from the Zebra case called CII "Criminal Intelligence and Investigation," Clark Howard called it "Criminal Investigation and Identification," and a timeline of the California Department of Justice identifies CII as "Criminal Identification and Information.")

One such East Coast murder was the April 14, 1972 ambush murder of Patrolman Philip W. Cardillo in Harlem's NOI Mosque #6, by mosque members, following a false "officer in need of assistance" call one member had made.

That was Min. Louis Farrakhan's mosque at the time, and if historian Vincent J. Cannato's recounting of the murder in The Ungovernable City: John Lindsay and the Struggle to Save New York (2001) holds up, Farrakhan was at least guilty of obstruction of justice, if not conspiracy to murder a police officer.

Retired NYPD Lt. Randy Jurgenson, who responded to the mosque ambush 34 years ago, has just finished a book on the case, Circle of Six. Two weeks ago, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who also responded to the mosque ambush that fateful day, announced that he is reopening the case. At the time, suspect Lewis 17X Dupree, was acquitted of murder charges.

Getting back to the West Coast, the retired SFPD inspector told me that the San Francisco operation was run through the NOI's local Mosque #26.

The killers all sought membership in an elite NOI group called the "Death Angels," which had recruiting meetings and pep rallies in the attic at Black Self-Help. In order to become a Death Angel, one had to murder four white children, five white women, or nine white men. In the NOI, cowardice is a virtue.

According to Clark Howard, the NOI had gangs of assassins up and down the state of California:
At that time, there were fifteen accredited Death Angels in California. To achieve their collective membership, they had already quietly killed throughout the state 135 white men, 75 white women, 60 white children – or enough of a combination thereof to give each of them his required four, five, or nine credits. This was October of 1973. The California attorney general's office had already secretly compiled a list of forty-five of those killings which had taken place in the cities of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Long Beach, Signal Hill, Santa Barbara, Palo Alto, Pacifica, San Diego, and Los Angeles; and in the counties of San Mateo, Santa Clara, Los Angeles, Contra Costa, Ventura, and Alameda. All of the victims were white. All the known suspects in the killings had been associated with the Black Muslim movement. The killings were even then continuing throughout the state.
The operation came down from the highest reaches of the NOI, making the NOI the bloodiest domestic terrorist group in American history.

During the same period, murdering whites had become quite a sport for black San Francisco criminals, a sport that did not bother black San Francisco civilians at all, who were of little help to police in solving the Zebra killings. On the bloodiest night of the killings, January 28, 1974, the NOI murderers shot five whites within two hours, leaving four dead and one crippled. In one case that night, the killers shot to death a white woman, Jane Holly, in front of eight black women in a well-lighted laundromat. Yet none of the black women would give police a useful description of the killer.

Had blacks helped police, the NOI killers could have been caught months earlier, and several of their victims spared.

As retired SFPD assistant chief and historian Kevin J. Mullen, who at the time was a veteran of over 20 years on the force, recently wrote,
By the late 1970s, San Francisco's homicide rate was 18.5 per 100,000 population, up from 5.9 in an equivalent period in the early 1960s. Much of the increase was driven by a rise in black on white killings. It was in this climate that the Zebra killings occurred.
Note that at 13.4 percent, blacks then comprised barely more than one-eighth of the city's population.

We still do not know how many whites the Nation of Islam murdered during the period of 1970-75, let alone how many it has since murdered, not to mention how many copycat black-on-white murders it may have inspired.

CII's Richard Walley, who until his unfortunate death from cancer in 1974, ran the California Department of Justice's Intelligence Analysis Unit (IAU), was convinced that during the 1970-early 1974 period alone, the NOI was responsible for 71 black-on-white racial murders in California. In Zebra, however, author Clark Howard estimated that the NOI was guilty of "just under 270" black-on-white murders in California during the same period.
What broke the seemingly hopeless case was an inspiration by Gus Coreris that went under the rubric of "bending the rules."

Coreris sat down with SFPD sketch artist Hobart "Hoby" Nelson, and as Coreris told me last year, dictated generic sketches of two 20-something black males. Those sketches were then distributed to local newspapers, who published them on their front pages; to TV news operations, who led with them on the 6 O'Clock News; and to officers in the street, who pulled over every young black man who resembled one of the drawings.

In order to avoid constantly harassing the same innocent black men, the police gave out a special "Zebra Check" card to each black man who had already been stopped and questioned, with the time, date, and place of the stop, the driver's license and social security numbers of the black civilian, and the name, badge number, and signature of the officer who had made the stop. If an innocent black man had already been stopped, he needed only to produce his Zebra Check card and valid ID showing that he was the card holder.

Note that a few years earlier, hundreds of young white men had been stopped and questioned in connection with the Nob Hill rapist, in which the suspect had been identified as white. Only in the Nob Hill case, no cards were issued to white men who had been stopped, and no one protested or went to court to get the practice stopped.

But this time, black San Franciscans were mad as hell! How dare the police inconvenience and "harass" them. What was the big deal, after all? And why the "Zebra" appellation? This was surely a racist dig at blacks! (You can't make this stuff up.) Blacks of all social classes were particularly outraged that in a murder spree in which all of the suspects were black, police were stopping and questioning only black potential suspects. The term "racial profiling" had yet to be coined, but the mentality of shielding black criminals was already prevalent among blacks.

As Howard wrote, "The black organizations … were determined to interfere with the police effort in any way they could." Some were definitely seeking, via political means, to aid and abet mass murderers. One activist preacher, the Reverend Cecil Williams, threatened a race war, if police didn't back down. As if the race war were not already underway.

I know of only one black San Franciscan from the time, prominent or otherwise, who showed any support for the SFPD. Dr. Washington Garner, a prominent local physician and civic leader, called on the black community to cooperate with police, even emphasizing the tactics used in the Nob Hill rapist case. Unfortunately, Dr. Garner's alternate pleading and scolding fell on deaf ears.

The NAACP went to court to handcuff the police, and won. It was supported by, among other groups, a racist, black-dominated, counter-police organization called Officers for Justice, whose president was an SFPD officer named Jesse Byrd (spelled "Bird" in some accounts). Jesse Byrd was a Black Muslim.

(A counter-police organization is one which seeks to handcuff and destroy a police agency from within. Contemporary American counter-police organizations are typically formed by blacks or Hispanics, which, while demanding jobs, promotions, and power for unqualified and morally unfit members of their groups, often seek at the same time to aid and abet minority criminals. In addition to Officers for Justice, prominent counter-police organizations include The Black Sentinels in Cincinnati, and The Guardians, 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care, and the Latino Officers Association in New York. When such groups succeed at getting unfit officer candidates from their respective groups hired, they follow up with frivolous lawsuits, charging that the incompetent minority hires suffer discrimination in promotions, no matter how rapidly those members were promoted, in order to gain them millions of dollars in extortion money.)

Gus Coreris' bluff saved the day, in spite of Jesse Byrd and the NAACP.

One of the NOI killers was an ex-con named Anthony Harris who, as Gus Coreris told me last year, had wild imagination. Although neither of the police sketches resembled Harris in the slightest, Harris projected himself onto one of them, and convinced himself that he had been identified.

Harris came forward to gain $30,000 in reward money, immunity from prosecution, and new identities for himself, his girlfriend Debra, and her baby.

The SFPD initially secreted the family in either a Holiday Inn motel (according to Howard) or the Del Webb Hotel (as one of the detectives told me). The family was with Inspectors Gus Coreris and John Fotinos, the partners who were the SFPD's top homicide inspectors, and who were the lead detectives in the case. However, one day while Anthony Harris was taking a shower, Debra called Sister Sarah, the wife of an NOI minister, and told her where the family was hiding.

Within minutes, an NOI assassin had appeared in the lobby, spoken with Harris on the house telephone, and called from a pay phone for reinforcements. Insp. Coreris called his partner, Insp. John Fotinos, from the house phone, to warn him of the impending arrival of the killers, and to get him to prepare Harris, his family, and attorney to escape.

Shortly thereafter, a car pulled up with four more NOI assassins.
(Howard's description of the five suggested they were from the Fruit of Islam, the NOI's palace guard, as the FOI were much more disciplined than the Zebra killers.)

Feigning indifference to the assassins and to his witness, Inspector Coreris left the motel. The assassins then proceeded to undertake a floor-by-floor search for their prey. Presumably, they would have killed everyone present – including family, inspectors, and attorney.

Once on the street, Insp. Coreris hurried to his SFPD car, and peeling rubber, drove it up to the motel's rooftop parking lot, where Fotinos, Harris' lawyer, Laurence Kaufman, and Harris and family were waiting. Once everybody was in, Coreris again peeled rubber, only seconds ahead of the NOI assassins.
(This story was told by Clark Howard in Zebra; Gus Coreris corroborated it to me during his telephone interview last year.)

As Howard recounts, when a San Francisco Examiner team of reporter Dexter Waugh and photographer Walt Lynott, and a later Examiner team that included reporter Hollis Wagstaff scoured the city, talking to people how they felt about the killings, not only were blacks not at all fearful – after all, they weren't being targeted by the killers – not a single black the respective teams interviewed expressed any sympathy for the white victims.

The tenacious, brilliant, and resourceful team of Gus Coreris and John Fotinos are the heroes of the Zebra saga. They had two able younger detectives – Jeff Brosch and Carl Klotz from Robbery Detail – assisting them full-time, with every other member of the Homicide Detail working on the case on a rotating basis.

In Zebra, Clark Howard recounts an incident from a few hours after the assassination attempt at the motel. Gus Coreris returned to his office, where a message from a young black SFPD patrolman awaited him. When Coreris returned the man's call, the latter did not want to discuss the matter over the phone. In person, the patrolman asked Coreris point blank where he was hiding Anthony Harris. Coreris asked the officer if he was acting on behalf of the NOI. As reported in Zebra, when the young officer answered in the affirmative, Coreris responded that the SFPD would protect Harris and the information he had "at any risk," that Coreris was going to report the officer to SFPD Chief Donald Scott, Chief of Inspectors Charles Barca, and the Intelligence Division, and that the patrol officer had better stop inquiring after Harris' whereabouts. (363)

In a telephone interview last year, Gus Coreris confirmed for me that the foregoing incident had occurred just as Clark Howard reported it. When I asked Coreris what had happened to the black officer working for the NOI, he replied, "Nothing."

We are talking here about a police officer who, based on Coreris' story, was guilty of conspiring to murder a government witness, conspiring to obstruct justice, and who was an accomplice after the fact in at least 15 murders, at least nine attempted murders, and various and sundry other felonies.

Last year, one of my SFPD sources who had been on the job at the time of the Zebra murders told me that the black officer who had tried to get Anthony Harris' location for the NOI was none other than Jesse Byrd.
Although one SFPD source would have been more than enough for a New York Times reporter, I wanted a source from the inner circle of detectives who ran the case.

I spoke to everyone from the Zebra team, save one, but no one could remember the identity of the black patrolman.

The one inspector I didn't reach was John Fotinos. He was the guy that got away.

The other day, Fotinos' widow told me of the massive stroke her eighty-year-old husband had suffered on April 16 of this year, and which took him eleven days later.

John Fotinos was born on November 1, 1925. He served his nation honorably in World War II (as did his friend and partner, Gus Coreris). John Fotinos was an old-school cop who never took the job home with him. He and his wife had four children, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. One of their sons, one son-in-law, and two of their grandsons proudly wear the uniform of the San Francisco Police Department.

I never had any contact with John Fotinos, and never so much as saw his photograph. And yet, when I first read Zebra four years ago, he and Gus Coreris immediately became heroes of mine. John Fotinos will be missed anywhere people care about upholding the thin blue line that separates civilization from anarchy.

In the Zebra case, Inspectors Coreris and Fotinos were ably assisted by Inspectors Jeff Brosch and Carl Klotz, whom Coreris and Fotinos had brought over from the Robbery Detail.

So, where would I get my secondary corroboration? Hiding in plain sight, as it turned out. Hollywood screenwriter Bennett Cohen, with the assistance of retired SFPD Chief Earl Sanders, who gave Cohen's researchers boxes and boxes of the old SFPD Zebra paper work Sanders had taken with him, wrote a just-released book on the case,
Cohen, who must have found Gus Coreris' old report complaining about Jesse Byrd's yeoman efforts on behalf of the NOI assassins, writes that Byrd was, indeed, the NOI mole in the SFPD. Oddly enough, however, Chief Sanders argues that "all they wanted to do was 'talk' to [Anthony Harris]."

As crime historian and retired SFPD deputy chief Kevin J. Mullen, a peer of Gus Coreris and John Fotinos, quipped in his review of Bennett Cohen's book,
Yes. And John Gotti had someone ask the FBI for Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano's address in the Federal Witness Protection Program so that he could update his Christmas card list."

It is impossible to overstate Jesse Byrd's significance. We have many instances over the years of black activists and groups seeking indirectly to aid and abet black criminals and terrorists, through say, handcuffing police (e.g., prohibiting them from surveilling mosques that are known terrorist meeting places, such as San Francisco's NOI Mosque #26). However, in all the other cases, there was always at least one degree of separation between the terrorists or criminals and their public supporters. Jesse Byrd is the only case I know of, in which there were zero degrees of separation.
The 10th Annual Zebra Victims Memorial Services was held Friday at 12 noon on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. Organizers had announced that SFPD Commissioner Petra DeJesus had agreed to attend.
The person who has helped me the most in studying the Zebra case is Lou Calabro, a retired SFPD lieutenant, who was a sergeant at the time of the NOI murders. Calabro encouraged me to undertake a Zebra Project, in order to determine and name all of the white victims of the NOI's genocidal campaign. Calabro convincingly argued that the project must necessarily be a team effort, due to the massive workload, in seeking after official records and newspaper accounts from those pre-computer and pre-Internet days. Not to mention that with witnesses, survivors, and lawmen dying off, time is of the essence. I ask that anyone with information about any possible NOI racial attacks please write me at Add1dda@aol.com
All correspondence will be kept confidential.

In re-reading passages from Clark Howard's book, I came up with one surviving non-San Francisco victim, Massachusetts native Thomas Bates, a hitchhiker who was shot three times near Emeryville.
(Clark Howard cited several fatal and non-fatal non-San Francisco NOI attacks; however, Bates was the only such victim whom he named.)
Howard has so far not responded to e-mails from me seeking information on his claim that "just under 270" California whites were murdered by the NOI at the time.

Since my Zebra article last year, two people have sent me information about other possible Zebra victims. In January, one reader wrote,
Richard Asbury was born on Nov. 11, 1940 and died sometime in the late summer early fall of 1970. He had brown hair and brown eyes, ht. 6'1", wt. 160 lbs. He was in Santa Rosa, CA and I believe he was found in the Russian River. I don't believe he had any tattoos or identifying marks. There is rumor of him having ties with the Hell's Angels, but it is all speculation. I will try to get more information.
And two months ago, I learned of Steve Conachy and yet another unidentified victim.
I found your article on the Zebra killings and wanted to give you some inside info. The first killings took place in Aug 3 1973. Two young men were picked up (one in Pacifica in the Fairmont dist. ). One was 18 yrs the other was 21 yrs old. The 21 yrs old's body was dumped in SF and the other in the San Bruno mountains. They are the very first 2 and forgotten victims of those sick murders done by Black Muslims in SF in 1973.

Those 2 young men did not know each other. They may have never seen each other until that night. They now rest in Colma 20 ft from each other for all eternity. How do I know this? One was my older brother….

These murders at the time were not put together, 2 different counties were investigating it. My father was a retired SF police officer and they thought the killing was to get even with him. Which was not the case. About 6 to 8 weeks later the other murders began and my brother and the other poor soul murders were finally connected, but by that time the press was focus on the new killings and the first victims were forgotten about. But that was the start of it in Aug 3 1973.

Thank you for your time in this matter. It is important to me to get the record right and my brother not a forgotten victim….
Four of the NOI murderers were tried and convicted for the San Francisco killings. They remain in prison today, but they come up periodically for parole:

Jesse Lee Cooks, J.C. Simon (aka J.C.X. Simon), Larry Green and Manuel Moore.

According to crime writer Julia Scheeres, Leroy Doctor was also an NOI assassin. Doctor's intended victim, Robert Stoeckmann, turned the tables on him, and ended up shooting Doctor three times. Doctor, who lived, was ultimately imprisoned for assault with a deadly weapon. Scheeres is, to my knowledge, the only crime writer so far to list Doctor as an NOI assassin.

A partial list of the wounded follows, in Clark Howard's words:
Richard Hague [Quita's husband], his face butchered.
"Ellen Linder," [a pseudonym Howard devised to protect her privacy], raped, ravaged, threatened with death.
Arthur Agnos [who would later be elected mayor], surviving after his insides were ripped up by bullets.
"Angela Roselli," surviving with nerve damage in her back.
Roxanne McMillian, surviving but paralyzed from the waist down.
Linda Story, surviving with nerve damage in her back.
Ward Anderson, surviving but in serious condition after being shot down at a city bus stop.
Terry White, also surviving, also in serious condition, after being shot down at the same bus stop.

And courtesy ofJulia Scheeres, at Court TV's crimelibrary.com,
Robert Stoeckmann, grazed in the neck by a shot fired by Leroy Doctor.

A partial list of white NOI murder victims follows, as described by Clark Howard:
Quita Hague, hacked to death….
Frances Rose, her face blown apart by close-range gunshots.
Saleem Erakat, tied up and executed.
Paul Dancik, shot down at a public telephone….
Marietta DiGirolamo, thrown into a doorway and shot to death.
Ilario Bertuccio, killed while walking home from work….
Neal Moynihan, shot down while taking a teddy bear to his little sister.
Mildred Hosler, shot down while walking toward her bus stop.
John Doe #169, kidnapped, tortured, butchered, decapitated.
Tana Smith, murdered on her way to buy blouse material.
Vincent Wollin, murdered on his sixty-ninth birthday.
John Bambic, murdered while rummaging in a trash bin.
Jane Holly, murdered in a public Laundromat….
Thomas Rainwater, shot down on the street as he walked to a market….
And Nelson Shields IV, shot three times in the back as he was straightening out the cargo deck on his station wagon.

And …

Steve Conachy

John Doe (killed with Conachy) [P.S. December 11, 2014: Joseph M. Villaroman.]

Richard Asbury (?)

I wish to thank all of the retired SFPD officers who so generously helped me in the writing of this article, as well as Mrs. John Fotinos. The majority of my material came from Clark Howard's 1979 work, Zebra: The true account of the 179 days of terror in San Francisco

How Did Cult Leader Yahweh ben Yahweh Convince His 'Death Angels' To Murder More Than A Dozen In Florida?
Yahweh ben Yahweh encouraged his "Death Angels" to kill cult dissidents as well as random white people in acts of racial retribution.
At its peak in the late 1980s, the Nation Of Yahweh had thousands of followers and owned millions in real estate. Mixing messages of black power with fringe ideologies, adherents pledged their devotion to founder Yahweh ben Yahweh, who they believed to be divine. His reputation for social outreach resulted in Miami Mayor Xavier Suarez declaring October 7, 1990, "Yahweh Ben Yahweh Day." A month later, he would be arrested on a litany of charges, including racketeering, extortion, arson and murder.
Yahweh ben Yahweh was born Hulon Mitchell Jr. in Kingfisher, Oklahoma in 1935, the oldest of 15 children, according to the Chicago Tribune. His father was a Pentecostal minister and his sister is Grammy-winning opera singer Leona Mitchell. Throughout his life, Yahweh adopted several religious practices, and he claimed he knew he was divine by the age of 3. He studied psychology in college and later earned a master's degree in economics at Atlanta University. Yahweh then made his way to Chicago, where he became involved with the Nation of Islam.
In the late 1970s, Yahweh arrived in Miami, Florida, rebranding himself as Yahweh ben Yahweh, "God, the son of God," according to the Miami Herald. Along with anti-white screeds, heavily influenced by the most extreme of Nation of Islam beliefs, he borrowed ideas from the Black Hebrew Israelites, who believe that black people are the true descendants of the ancient Hebrews of the Bible. Impressively dressed in a jeweled turban and flowing white robes, he began attracting followers through his sermons. He dubbed his religious sect the Nation of Yahweh, and at their height, he claimed they numbered around 20,000 in 45 cities, according to the Washington Post.
In his teachings, Yahweh told his followers to wear white, claiming, "He that overcometh the white man, the same shall be clothed in white raiment," according to the Miami Herald. "We are white people's property as long as we keep their name," was another lesson, leading many followers to assume Biblical names, often adopting the surname "Israel."
Many members of the Nation of Yahweh lived communally in a mixed-use complex known as the "Temple of Love," located in Miami's historically black enclave of Liberty City. Followers were expected to generate money by selling goods, which included Yahweh-branded drinks and beauty products. With these proceeds and donations from members, the group invested in real estate holdings, including apartment buildings, hotels and supermarkets, which were valued at $9 million in 1990, according to the New York Times.
Though the Nation of Yahweh presented itself as a religious organization dedicated to improving black lives by teaching self-reliance and practicing urban renewal, darker things were going on behind the closed doors of the Temple of Love. Those who questioned Yahweh's teachings or practices within the group were subject to discipline, beatings and in some cases murder. In 1981, former Nation of Yahweh member Aston Green was beheaded after leaving the group, according to the Miami Herald. When his roommates and fellow defectors Carlton Carey and Mildred Banks went to report the incident to police, they were attacked. Carey was fatally shot, and Banks was shot and struck with a machete. She survived the attack.
In the fall of 1986, a large contingent from the Nation of Yahweh showed up at a rundown apartment building the group had bought in Opa-locka, Florida. Tenants claimed the Yahwehs, armed with wooden staffs, began to forcibly evict the them. Residents Anthony Brown and Rudolph Broussard publicly resisted, and that evening, they were shot to death outside the apartment building, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Police arrested former University of California at Berkeley football player and Yahweh follower Robert Rozier, who went by the name Neariah Israel, and charged him with the murders, according to The New York Times.
Rozier would eventually make a deal with prosecutors, accepting a 22-year prison sentence for four murders in exchange for becoming their "star witness," according to the Los Angeles Times.  Rozier claimed within the Nation of Yahweh was a secret group known as the "Brotherhood," whom Yahweh referred to as his "Death Angels," according to court documents. They were the group's enforcers and were also encouraged to kill random white people in acts of racial retribution. They would then cut off their victims' ears and then present to Yahweh, who instructed his cult members "to kill me a white devil and bring me an ear."
In early November 1990, the FBI arrested Yahweh and numerous other members of the Nation of Yahweh, charging them with 18 specific instances of racketeering, including extortion, arson and 14 separate murders, according to The New York Times. Also arrested was Yahweh's companion Linda Gaines, who went by the name Judith Israel, and served as treasurer of the Temple of Love, according to the Miami Herald.
Following a five-month trial, Yahweh and six other members of the Nation of Yahweh were found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, reported the Los Angeles Times. He was sentenced to 18 years in prison and fined $20,000. Yahweh was paroled in September 2001. The terms of his parole forbade him from being in contact with any past or present members of the Nation of Yahweh, his attorney Jayne Weintraub told The New York Times, though this was rescinded after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2006. He died on May 7, 2007, at his home in Opa-locka, Florida.
March 1, 2019,
'Uncovered: The Cult of Yahweh Ben Yahweh'
 Premieres March 10 on Oxygen
The two-hour special explores how Yahweh Ben Yahweh manipulated thousands, led with intimidation and gained political influence for more than a decade.
Oxygen Media, the destination for high-quality crime programming, debuts a compelling two-hour special, "Uncovered: The Cult of Yahweh Ben Yahweh" on Sunday, March 10 at 7pm ET/PT.  Hulon Mitchell Jr., aka Yahweh Ben Yahweh, devoted his life as the spiritual leader of the Nation of Yahweh, which he founded in 1979. During a time of racial divide, violence and corruption, his mission was to rehabilitate drug riddled neighborhoods in Miami. However, within just a few years, his controversial leadership led his members to a darker side, which some say turned the organization into a terrifying cult.

"Uncovered: The Cult of Yahweh Ben Yahweh" explores how Yahweh Ben Yahweh manipulated thousands, led with intimidation and gained political influence for more than a decade. Then in 1990, Yahweh Ben Yahweh was arrested and accused of orchestrating multiple murders, ordering his inner circle, more formally known as the "death of angels," to facilitate these violent actions on his behalf. Was he actually the mastermind behind these crimes or did some of his members take his teachings to an unimaginable level? Through first-hand accounts from former and current followers of the group, law enforcement, legal experts and family members, Ben Yahweh's story is told in chilling detail from his rise to power all the way through his shocking trial.
"Uncovered: The Cult of Yahweh Ben Yahweh" is produced by Renegade 83, LLC, an Entertainment One (eOne) company with David Garfinkle, Jay Renfroe, Bob Kusbit  and Vincent DiPersio serving as Executive Producers. 
About Oxygen Media:
Oxygen Media is a multiplatform crime destination brand for women. Having announced the full-time shift to true crime programming in 2017, Oxygen remains one of the fastest growing cable entertainment networks with popular unscripted original programming that includes the flagship "Snapped" franchise, "Cold Justice," "Killer Couples," "Criminal Confessions," and breakout hit event series such as "The Disappearance of Natalee Holloway," "Dahmer on Dahmer: A Killer Speaks," and "Aaron Hernandez Uncovered." Available in more than 77 million homes, Oxygen is a program service of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, a division of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Watch Oxygen anywhere: On Demand, online, or across mobile and connected TVs. 
YOUTUBE: Escaping Evil: My Life in a Cult - Yahweh Ben Yahweh, Aggressive Christianity Training Corp
•Mar 22, 2017
Escaping Evil: My Life in a Cult - Yahweh Ben Yahweh, Aggressive Christianity Training Corp Series: Escaping Evil Network: Crime & Investigation Episode: My Life in a Cult Content: Yahweh Ben Yahweh, Aggressive Christianity Training Corp 


Anonymous said...

What that period of time gave us,was a preview of the future--not just "Zebra Killings",with 70 murders over a number of years,but "Zebra Genocide"--a vendetta-filled era,where 70 Whites would be killed every HOUR;where a coast to coast policy by blacks,run by the likes of the noi or blm--would be created to kill Whiteys for racist reasons they are openly espousing now.

If you listen to what blacks are saying,when they say they want "justice",they don't mean in court per se,they want revenge.But for what--not being allowed to wantonly commit felonious and murderous crimes?(Yes,they also want black lotto cash--paid for by Whitey).

Jason Blake was wanted by police for 3rd degree sexual assault and domestic violence since July 5th.Somehow he evaded the warrant.With his big mouth negress ho and what looked like 10 kids,in all the pictures I see,I find it incredulous that Blake could not be captured.He couldn't have been working--not with police looking for him,but still nigs move around--warrant or not.
Then,a phone call."Domestic violence report".

Was this from the same residence that the July 5th report originated from?Did the same person call in the latest incident?Crump says Blake was trying to STOP two women from fighting.I believe that as much as I believe Trayvon Martin was a law abiding negro.
Five years ago,Blake resisted arrest and was waving around a gun in public--does anyone think he does things any differently 5 years later?Domestic violence charges 7 weeks ago and now another where he happens to be "in the house"--as they say.
But neither negro nor media care about his behavior--right up to the point where police,"shot him in the back ."
He dared police to stop him from getting into his vehicle.He blatantly ignored them,knowing he had a warrant hanging over his head and had nothing to lose by going into the vehicle and driving it--either into the cops--or to begin a getaway chase.His past suggests he had a gun--and as it was reported on the latest Dom-Ass charge,SOMEONE HAD a gun.
He gave them no choice--and the stupid blacks and complicit media will not mention any of it.
But they both want "justice"--White cops to get fired/arrested;Whites to die so blacks can do what they want.

David In TN said...

The piece by Roger D. McGrath you reprinted above was in the March 2006 Chronicles Magazine under "Sins of Omission."

A Sin of Omission is a form of lying.

Anonymous said...

"For every violent crime whites commit against blacks, blacks commit 13 against whites."

I don't believe that figure for a second. Much worse blacks commit crimes against whites. Much worse. More like that latter figure 113:1.

Newer Post Older Post Home