Monday, April 24, 2017

Karl Mannheim and Me


Back in West Germany, circa 1983, I read Karl Mannheim’s classic work, Ideologie und Utopia. Yeah, the title is virtually identical in German and English.

Although the book was lucidly written, I honestly can’t remember more than what I had previously read about Mannheim, and what I’ve since seen about him—the idea of a “frei-schwebende Intelligenz,” a “free-floating intelligentsia.”

I thought to myself, That’s me!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. Even wealthy intellectuals feel the need for a home, and they get one, even multiple ones. Once an alleged scholar or intellectual proves he doesn’t need the money, people throw it at him.

The first law of Stixian economics is, Money helps money.

Well, none of my donors is rich, and yet they give me money!

Please hit the “Donate” button at the top of the page, and make a generous contribution to WEJB/NSU.

I thank you, and your posterity will, too.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Stix

No comments: