Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sinatra and the Brothers Gershwin: “Someone to Watch Over Me”

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix
 

Someone to Watch Over Me
Music by George Gershwin
Words by Ira Gershwin
 

Introduction

There's a saying old, says that love is blind,
Still we're often told, seek and ye shall find,
So I'm going to seek a certain lad I've had in mind.

Looking everywhere, haven't found him yet,
He's the big affair I cannot forget,
Only man I ever think of with regret.

I'd like to add his initial to my monogram,
Tell me, where is the shepherd for this lost lamb?

Song Proper

There's a somebody I'm longin’ to see,
I hope that he turns out to be,
Someone who'll watch over me.

I’m a little lamb who's lost in the wood,
I know I could, always be good,
To one who'll watch over me.

Although he may not be the man
Some girls think of as handsome,
To my heart he carries the key.

Won’t you tell him please to put on some speed,
Follow my lead, oh, how I need,
Someone to watch over me.

Won't you tell him please to put on some speed
Follow my lead, oh, how I need,
Someone to watch over me,
Someone to watch over me.
 

 
Uploaded on November 2, 2010, by catman916.

“Someone to Watch Over Me” was composed by George Gershwin with lyrics by Ira Gershwin in 1926 for the Broadway musical Oh, Kay. This version, recorded by Frank Sinatra on July 30, 1945 in Hollywood on the Columbia label with Axel Stordahl arranging and conducting, can be found on the Columbia CD box set, The Best of the Columbia Years, 1943-1952. He was to record it again on September 23, 1954 on the Capitol label.

No comments: