Sunday, September 20, 2015

Hear Frank Sinatra Sing the Classic Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer Torch Song, Blues in the Night

 

 

Blues in the Night (1941)
Music by Harold Arlen
Words by Johnny Mercer
Nominated for the Oscar for Best Original Song, 1942

My mama done told me,
When I was in knee pants,
My mama done told me, “Son,
“A woman’ll sweet talk,
“And give you the big eye,
“But when the sweet talking's done,
“A woman’s a two-face,
“A worrisome thing,
“Who'll leave you to sing,
“The blues in the night.”

Now the rain’s a-fallin,’
I hear the train a-callin,’
Whooee!
My mama done told me.

Hear that lonesome whistle,
Blowin’ ‘cross the trestle,
Whooee!
My mama done told me.

A hooee, da hooee!
Oh, clickety clacks,
Echoing back,
The blues in the night.

The evenin’ breeze will start
The trees to cryin,’
And the moon will hide its light,
When you get the blues in the night.

And take my word,
That mockingbird'll sing,
The saddest kind of song,
He knows things are wrong,
And he’s so right.

From Natchez to Mobile,
From Memphis to St. Joe,
Wherever the four winds,
They might blow.

I've been in some big towns,
And I heard me some big talk,
But there is one thing I know,

A woman’s a two-face,
A worrisome thing,
Who'll leave you to sing
The blues in the night.

My mama was right,
There's blues in the night.
 


 

Published on August 19, 2012 by Gabriel Lopez.
 

[Previously, in this series:

“Frank Sinatra: My Shining Hour (Video, from Trilogy: Past Present Future)”; and

“Hear Frank Sinatra Sing Arlen & Mercer’s Come Rain or Shine”;

“Hear Frank Sinatra Sing the Quintessential Version of Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer’s ‘One for My Baby (and One More, for the Road).’”

No comments: