Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Frank Sinatra Live! Medley of The Gal That Got Away and It Never Entered My Mind, Performed in 1980 at Carnegie Hall (Great Quality Video of a Grand Performance!)

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix
 

The Gal That Got Away
Music by Harold Arlen
Words by Ira Gershwin

The night is bitter,
The stars have lost their glitter,
The winds grow colder,
And suddenly you're older,
And all because of the gal that got away.

No more, her eager call,
The writing's on the wall,
The dreams you dreamed,
Have all gone astray.

The gal that won you,
Has run off and undone you,
That great beginning,
Has seen the final inning,
Don't know what happened,
It's all a crazy game.

No more, that old-time thrill,
For you've been through the mill,
And never a new love,
Will be the same.

Good riddance, goodbye,
Every trick of hers you're on to,
But fools will be fools,
And where's she gone to.

The road gets rougher,
It's lonelier and tougher,
With hope you burn up,
Tomorrow she may turn up,
There's just no let up,
The live long night and day.

Ever since this world began,
There is nothing sadder than,
A long, lost loser,
Looking for the gal that got away.

Please come back,
Won't you come back?
The gal that got away.
 

It Never Entered My Mind
Music by Richard Rodgers
Words by Lorenz Hart

Once I laughed when I heard you saying,
That I'd be playing solitaire,
Uneasy in my easy chair,
It never entered my mind.

And once you told me I was mistaken,
That I'd awaken with the sun,
And ordered orange juice for one,
It never entered my mind.

You had what I lack, myself,
Now I even have to scratch my back myself.

Once you warned me that if you scorned me,
I'd say a lonely prayer again,
And wish that you were there again,
To get into my hair again,
It never entered my mind.

Once you warned me that if you scorned me,
I'd say a lonely prayer again,
And wish that you were there again,
To get into my hair again,
It never entered my mind.
 


 

Uploaded on Jan 31, 2010 by Taylor C.

A marvelous rendition by ‘Ol Blue Eyes performed at Carnegie Hall in 1980.
 

[Previously, in this series:

“Frank Sinatra: My Shining Hour (Video, from Trilogy: Past Present Future)”;

“Hear Frank Sinatra Sing Arlen & Mercer’s Come Rain or Shine”;

“Hear Frank Sinatra Sing the Quintessential Version of Harold Arlen & Johnny Mercer’s ‘One for My Baby (and One More, for the Road)’”;

“Hear Frank Sinatra Sing the Classic Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer Torch Song, ‘Blues in the Night’”; and

“Frank Sinatra: Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer’s Stormy Weather (Video).”

No comments: