Monday, November 05, 2018

“Ashokan Farewell”: From The Civil War Soundtrack

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

I had assumed that this haunting, poignant piece of music was from the period, but it seems that it was written for the documentary series.

I loved The Civil War series, but given what Ken Burns has done since, I have to wonder what his intentions were. I have seen his later, racist documentary series, Jazz once, and his racist mockumentary, The Central Park Five (made with his daughter, Sarah, and her husband, David McMahon) twice. I also read Sarah Burns’ accompanying propaganda book, The Central Park Five.

Knowing now that Ken Burns is a genocidal racist, my question is, did he have a grand plan, to sucker the non-communist white public into thinking he was a fair-minded man, in order to get away with things like Jazz and CP5, or did he just drift ever more extremely radically racist after making The Civil War?
 


 

Published on May 2, 2016
“Ashokan Farewell”

The Civil War
Music from the film by Ken Burns
Music composed & performed by Jay Ungar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't mention his immediate followup to Civil War, the Baseball documentary, which harped endlessly on race and featured an all-Liberal assortment of irrelevant talking heads such as the despicable Mario Cuomo (coincidentally, in a year when he was up for re-election). I haven't watched anything Burns has done since.