Saturday, March 07, 2015

How Credible is Google?

By Nicholas Stix

The linked article is almost three years old, but I'm linking to it because I have concluded that Google engages in all sorts of mischief with its stats, starting with its blogs. Reloading one's Google stats counter, and constantly seeing one's stats for new blog items go down, rather than up, can do that to a fellow. Likewise for seeing one’s numbers at Google.com go on the wrong direction, in spite of insane activity.

Seven or eight years ago, Google typically showed 70,000-80,000 hits under my name. Since then, I have posted over 7,000 items at my primary blog, hundreds at VDARE and elsewhere, and have had other writers cite me thousands of times at their sites. The result: I just checked, and Google has me down to 52,000. Yesterday, it had me at 55,000. A few days ago, it had me at 57,000. Sometime in the past week, it had me at 247,000 for an hour or two. (Every once in a while, someone lets go of the governor, or whatever it is, for a few hours.)

A few years ago, a Texas-based business tried to get the Texas AG to prosecute Google, for tampering with Google.com numbers that, the business charged, were being misrepresented such to destroy it. The AG seriously considered pressing charges, but apparently decided not to.

It may seem foolish for someone to use a Google-owned blog to complain about Google, but no more so than spending thousands of hours blogging, only to have Google try and render me invisible, which it has done with several blogs whose politics its censors hate.

At Geekwire.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you think it's bad now just wait until the gangster Obama takes over the net.