Friday, February 01, 2019

Please Support WEJB/NSU, because We Remember Things the Internet Never Heard of!



Back in May of 2015, I recalled a song Vic Damone (may he rest in peace) had sung, and which one or more DJs on WNEW-AM had frequently played during the mid-1970s. It was a narcissistic anthem in the mode of “My Way”: “Lifestyle.”

I jotted down some of the lyrics, and went-a-googlin,’ but came up empty.

That’s impossible, I thought. Wasn’t Google the home to all knowledge, or at least to references to all knowledge?

The only references to the song in question now on Google are thanks to yours truly.

I remember the pre-Google world. Likewise, most of my reader-researchers grew up long before the Internet took over public opinion. They remember all sorts of things that took place before the ‘Net.

Such memories become all the more important, as Google switches from being a source of knowledge to a destroyer of knowledge.

And that makes WEJB/NSU all the more important.

Please hit the PayPal “Donate” button at the top of the page, and make a generous donation. I thank you, and your posterity will, too.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Stix


Lifestyle
Composer and lyricist unknown

Why do people
Criticize my lifestyle,
Can’t I live my own life,
My own way?...

Just like the gypsy,
Living my own lifestyle,
Tie me down one day,
And I would die,
I love a song and fun,
What’s wrong with that?

Why do all the others,
Tell me what to do?
I must be what I am,
Why change myself,
For you?

If honesty’s a virtue,
As long as I don’t hurt you,
Let me live and love,
As I choose.

Give me a break,
The road I take,
My destiny was meant to be
My own,
My own lifestyle
Suits me fine.

Why do all the others,
Tell me what to do?
I must be what I am,
Why change myself,
For you?

If honesty’s a virtue,
As long as I don’t hurt you,
Let me live and love,
As I choose.

Give me a break,
The road I take,
My destiny was meant to be
My own,
My own lifestyle
Suits me fine.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why use Google? I've had incredible luck finding old music of all kinds on YouTube. It may be run by evil people, but for now it's a treasure trove of obscure pop songs, classical music, forgotten TV shows and rare movies. GRAB IT 'cause it's not gonna be there forever! (psst- ever hear of Down---- Helper or 4k V----D---Loader? I'm trying to be discreet about this!)