Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Important New Book: COMPANY MAN, MY JESUIT LIFE, 1950-1968

By Nicholas Stix

I am posting this promotion that my friend Jim Bowman sent me of his new book. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to post photos on my son’s Imac, or I’d reproduce the cover photo of an extremely young-looking Jim Bowman.

Jim is a marvelous writer, whose work I’ve read since 1999. (So far, I've read an entertaining excerpt of his new book.) Sadly, he will go down in history as the the last reporter on the religion beat (1968-1978) of the legendary Chicago Daily News, considered by many Second City newsaholics to have been her greatest daily, and which closed up shop in 1978. Great American cities and great American daily newspapers rose and fell together.


ANNOUNCING: COMPANY MAN, MY JESUIT LIFE, 1950-1968.

Robert Blair Kaiser, who covered Vatican Council II for Time magazine, says he “couldn't stop reading” it.

Russell Shaw, a prolific conservative commentator on church matters, calls it "a vivid account . . . a picture of the American Jesuits in transition."

An excerpt appears in this week's Wednesday Journal.

Company Man is available at Lulu Marketplace.

Search Jim Bowman at: www.lulu.com

=============================
Jim Bowman
www.myjesuitlife.com

No comments: