Thursday, May 25, 2023

breaking: founder of beloved nyc hot dog chain Gray's papaya dead at 86


Gray's Papaya founder, Nicholas Gray, circa 2000


By N.S.

I ate my share of dogs and "pina coladas," mostly at the 8th Street and Sixth Avenue (alias Avenue of the Americas) location which, I just learned, was shuttered about nine-and-a-half years ago. During the late 1980s, when I used to hang out on the Yupper West Side, where I met the Nice Jewish Girl (NJG) on whom I wasted four of the best years of my life, I frequented the original, 72nd Street and Broadway location, in which I last dropped in a few years ago, after visiting my late Mom in her assisted-living community. During the mid-to-late 1990s, I would sonetimes pick up a couple of dogs and a pina colada on the way home from the city, on my way into the West 4th Street subway.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/24/nicholas-gray-founder-of-nyc-hot-dog-chain-grays-papaya-dead-at-86/


The original location is still open at 72nd Street and Broadway




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess eating hot dogs leads to a long life--unless...


--GRA

Anonymous said...

...you choke on one.

In GR,"Yesterdog" has had the greatest hot dogs--steamed--for 45 years.

--GRA

Anonymous said...

The Great American success story. In the Chicago area it is Frank Portillo and the Portillo chain of hot dog restaurants.