Friday, December 11, 2015

Sinatra and the Brothers Gershwin: “But Not for Me”

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

I’m searching for a better arrangement, but the song and performance stand, nevertheless.
 

Frank Sinatra
Lyrics by: Ira Gershwin (b. Israel Gershvin)
Music by: George Gershwin (b. Jacob Gershvin)
From the Show: Girl Crazy (1930) (S)

But Not for Me

They're writing songs of love,
But not for me,
A lucky star's above,
But not for me.

With love to lead the way,
I've found more clouds of gray,
Than any Russian play
Can guarantee.

I was a fool to fall,
And get this way,
Hi ho, alas,
And also lackaday.

Although I can't dismiss,
The memory of her kiss,
I guess she's not,
She's not for me.

[Verbal Bridge]

Old man sunshine,
Listen you, never tell me,
Dreams come true,
Just try it, and I’ll start a riot.

Beatrice Fairfax, don't you dare,
Ever tell me she will care
I'm certain,
It's the final curtain.

I never want to hear,
From any cheerful Polly-Annas,
Who tell you fate supplies a mate,
It's all bananas.

[Musical Bridge]

It all began so well,
But what an end,
This is the time,
A fellow needs a friend.

When every happy plot,
Ends with a marriage knot,
And there's no knot,
No, (k)not for me.
 

Contributed by Larry Henares of the Philippines

http://www.thepeaches.com/music/
 


 

Posted on February 27, 2009 by Il canale eclettico di cazale2008.

No comments: