Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Listen to “I Wonder as I Wander” Like You’ve Never Heard It!

[Of related interest, at WEJB/NSU:

“Merry Christmas 2017! Come on over, and Help Me Fight Off the Grinch, While Listening to the Eighth Annual WEJB/NSU Christmas Concert!”]
 

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

I am obsessed with this Christmas carol, but I didn’t want to listen to this version.

I only like to hear sopranos sing it, and the favorite arrangement I vaguely recall (but can’t recall what version it was) had the orchestra playing in lower keys… but I saw “The King's Singers.”

King's Singers… must listen. No defense. Resistance is futile.

Not only is the performance stunning (as usual), but the arrangement and orchestral accompaniment by the City of London Sinfonia are on a par with it.

To all the guilty parties, thank you.





Alternate version:

I Wonder as I Wander: The John Brown University Choir
 


 

(Yes, the video looks awful, and the mike needed to be closer, but bear with it. The soprano sings like an angel and, as Maureen Hegarty and Barbra Streisand's versions make all too clear, this song requires a soprano.)
 

I Wonder as I Wander

I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die,
For poor on'ry people like you and like I,
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.

When Mary birthed Jesus 'twas in a cow's stall,
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all,
But high from God's heaven, a star's light did fall,
And the promise of ages it then did recall.

If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,
A star in the sky or a bird on the wing,
Or all of God's Angels in heaven to sing,
He surely could have it, 'cause he was the King.

I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die,
For poor on'ry people like you and like I,
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.
 

Thanks to jernigana and Oldie Lyrics.

No comments: