Monday, August 19, 2019

Chaperones for Serial Killers?


“Everyone Knows” that Crime Went Down for over 20 Years—Everyone but Me.”

[N.S.: I hereby apologize to Jerry PDX, for forgetting to publish this piece when he posted it, back in February. I get so much great material from my reader-researchers that I am constantly overlooking or forgetting things. Some of you have even picked up on my shortcomings, by re-posting items I’ve missed. “Squeaky wheel,” and all that.

By Jerry PDX
Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:47:00 P.M. EST

Speaking of crime... I walked by the news stand today and noticed that USA Today had... guess who on their front page? None other than Ted Bundy, the media's favorite serial killer! So why did USA Today decide to feature Teddy boy’s face on the front page at this particular time? Could it be because they also ran that story about the paintings by Samuel Little of his female victims? Or am I just too cynical? Little was a sidebar story, though, he didn't get put front and center like Ted did. OK, we get the message here, decades-old white serial killers merit front page attention, while current and even more prolific black ones are relegated to the back pages. Didn’t I recently post a comment about decades-old, white serial killers suddenly appearing as chaperone stories with the Samuel Little story? Then, viola! Yet another one coincidentally appears on USA Today, as if by magic.

Odd thing about this is that while the print edition has the Ted Bundy picture and story, it doesn’t appear on the internet edition. I tried various searches but could only find old USA Today stories featuring Ted, of which there were plenty, but this current edition story is not there. I don’t usually read USA Today so maybe they’ll post it later, I’ll watch for it and send the link, if it appears. If you want to see the Bundy story, just go by any news stand and there he is in all his glory, that face that has already been burned into your brain by decades of mass media exposure. No pictures of Samuel Little though, they’re keeping his evil black visage in the shadows.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess with Ted the problem is that he was the charming all-American boy from the outside but monstrous on the inside. You do not expect a colored man to be the charming all-American boy beloved by all.