Monday, May 25, 2015

Saving Private Ryan: Complete Score, and John Williams Talks about Scoring Ryan

 

 

May 30, 2011, 5:30 a.m.
 
Saving Private Ryan Soundtrack composed by John Williams, performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Somber music for a somber movie.

John Williams is God’s gift to the movies.

When Aaron Copland (1900-1990) composed music for a movie, he would not only write stunning music, but lots of it, so that a picture like The Red Pony might contain over a solid hour of music, very little of it repeat themes. He took twice as long writing a score as the typical composer, and he demanded and got a much higher fee—and he earned every bit of it. The opening theme alone to The Red Pony is so stunning that when my 10-year-old son and I saw the picture for the first time last summer, and the opening credits cited Copland, my son said, without prompting, “Thank you, Aaron.”

Although there is a fair amount of repetition in this score, it still blows me away how many great individual themes John Williams wrote for one picture, and how powerful they are, not just the requiem. We Stix men feel the same way about seeing John Williams’ name in the credits as we do about Aaron Copland.
 

 

[Postscript, Memorial Day, 2012: Unfortunately, I just found that the movie folks have exercised their prerogative, and forced Youtube to cease from hosting all but Williams' requiem to Ryan.]
 

Memorial Day, 2013: I posted the best Youtube version I could find of each passage, but after “Hymn to the Fallen,” which is the version I’ve used since the original post, they all stop and start.

Memorial Day, 2014: I was most fortunate to be able to find a complete soundtrack, thanks to Soundtrack Universes, which saved me from my annual ritual of patching together bits and pieces of the score, one step ahead of the Kopyright Kops. But download this one, while you can!
 

 

Memorial Day, 2015: Well, the KK caught up with Soundtrack Universes, which I didn’t learn until after re-posting today, so I had to shift about again for the score. And they got the conversation with John Williams about scoring Ryan. Fortunately, Ellijah De Leon had uploaded the score, and it was still standing. As always, the rule is: Download this one, while you can!
 



Uploaded on May 31, 2009 by Ellijah De Leon.
 

 

Edith Piaf: “Tu Es Partou”
 
English Translation:

We loved each other tenderly,
Like we loved all lovers,
Then one day you left me,
Ever since I've been desperate,
I see you everywhere in the sky,
I see you everywhere on the earth,
You are my joy and my sun,
My nights, my days, my clear dawns.

(CHORUS)

You are everywhere, because you are in my heart,
You are everywhere, because you are my happiness,
Everything that is around me,
Even life does not represent you,
Sometimes I dream that I am in your arms,
And you speak softly in my ear,
You tell me things that make me close my eyes,
And I find that marvelous.

Maybe one day you will return,
I know that my heart waits for you,
You cannot forget,
The past days we spent together,
My eyes never stop searching for you,
Listen well, my heart calls you,
We can love each other again,
And you’ll see life would be beautiful.

(CHORUS)
 

John Williams on Scoring Saving Private Ryan

 



Uploaded on Aug 21, 2007 by Farma2006.
 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching the 1962 TV series WIDE COUNTRY (not WILD COUNTRY, as the link has it) and I am totally in love with John Williams' theme- I think it's one of his very best! The series is uneven but has some GREAT episodes, including a GRAPES OF WRATH-styled story that I think would be right up your alley- you can easily get the DVD set on EBay. http://www.televisiontunes.com/Wild_Country_-_Ending.html

Anonymous said...

Big deal. The stupidest thing Americans ever did, get involved in WW2, especially in Europe. White Americans killed more Whites during WW2 than all the Whites killed by niggers in the USA since the USA started. An even bigger mistake than getting involved in WW1 -- which is saying a lot.

[The movie sucked too. Just full of lies as usual.]

From : Salvatore