Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I’ve Got a Gal in Kalamazoo: The Glenn Miller Orchestra, Tex Beneke, Marian Hutton, and the Nicholas Brothers

By Nicholas Stix

I’m not a huge fan of the (original) Glenn Miller Orchestra, which I generally find too smooth, to the point of puree, but I make a couple of exceptions, most notably for this swinging number.

(Stereo Mix)
 


Uploaded by wmg93 on Jan 17, 2009
 

(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo
Words by Mack Gordon and Music by Harry Warren

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H,
I got a gal in Kalamazoo,
Don't want to boast,
But I know she's the toast of
Kalamazoo zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo.

Years have gone by, my, my, how she grew,
I liked her looks when I carried her books in
Kalamazoo zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo.

I'm gonna send a wire,
Hoppin' on a flyer,
Leavin' today,
Am I dreamin'? I can hear her screamin'
"Hiya, Mr. Jackson"
Everything's OK,
A-L-A-M-A-Z-O

Oh, what a gal, a real pipperoo,
I'll make my bid for
That freckle-faced kid I'm hurryin' to,
I'm goin' to Michigan to
See the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo
(Zoo, zoo, oo, zoo, zoo, Kalamazoo
K (K)
A (A)
L-A-M-A-Z-O
(Oh, oh, oh, oh what a gal, a real pipperoo)
(We're goin' to Michigan to see the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo)
(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)
(Kalamazoo!!)

(With help from “Robin Hood” with the lyrics.)

2 comments:

Celebrate Homogeneity said...

There's Miller, and then there is MILLER! Thank you for this; it is a great version of the song.

And it sure beats most of what is trying to pass for music today. Thanks for posting this.

SonOfFrankenstein said...

Excellent. I grew up listening to this stuff. My Dad never quite got past all of the World War II music and as I got older, I started liking it as well.