Friday, December 02, 2011

To My Steadfast Readers,

 
As you know, terrible news came out of Knoxville today. Evil won, 4-0. It turns out that Judge Richard Baumgartner, or as I already called him, for other reasons, Judge Mischief, was carrying on like a character in a David E. Kelley show.

Granted, it ain’t over yet, and the virtually exclusively white net taxpayers of Knox County, Tennessee, who have already spent several million dollars on court costs for this case alone, will have the privilege of spending several million more, for Round Two.

At the risk of sounding even more ignorant than usual, as salacious as the revelations about Baumgartner were, it’s still not clear to me that the killers,’ er, defendants’ due process rights were violated. Had the Knoxvillians summarily lynched them when they were first arrested, you might have a due process argument, but I’m not even sure about that any more. “Due process” sophistry has become the Devil’s own jurisprudence.

However, my brain is fried, and pounding at these keys ‘til 6 a.m. isn’t going to get my mind right. Plus, I engaged in some perversions of my own tonight, which have me feeling under the weather.

I ate some tiny little slices of Papa John’s “pizza.” (I’ll take the Fifth on how many, but they were so small, from a “large pie,” that it wouldn’t really matter.) The corporation insists that it uses “better ingredients,” including “100% mozzarella.”

The alleged mozzarella would not melt. Not even after 30 minutes in our oven, at an average 300 f. I hypothesize, in my function as a pizzaologist, that this stuff could withstand a nuclear attack, without melting.

New York was already suffering a pizza crisis, before this chain attack: Receding cheese lines, cheese gaps, shrinking slices, increasing use of salt to cover for other shortchanged ingredients, rising prices, etc.

If I should die before I wake, it was the pizza.

However, there is some good news. You guys have been great. Even on Thanksgiving, some of you were sending in money. Thank you so much. And I will write to my individual benefactors.

And now, in lieu of a report on the Knoxville Horror situation, including what victims Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom’s families are going through, five weeks short of the fifth anniversary of the racist atrocity, I post a correspondence between my legman, David in TN, and myself from earlier tonight.


----- Original Message -----
From: N.S.
To: [David in TN]
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: New Trials In Knoxville Horror

This is just too much. I think I said recently something like that this case would still be dragging on after we're dead.

I just read the unsigned story you linked to. (Odd; it was Jamie covering it.) You’re right, of course. This went way beyond my worst imaginings. In fact, it's totally unbelievable.

The MSM may finally have found something they can hang their soiled hat on: Depraved, white judge causes poor, innocent blacks to suffer.

It ain't over 'til the black felon wins!
 

In a message dated 12/1/2011 10:32:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, David in TN writes:

Today HLN was fixated on the latest silly white woman to vanish in Aruba. I'll point out once again that that the Dead White Girl stories that are heavily covered always have a Great White Defendant.

Since we have to have four more trials, how about Knox County juries from now on? It's not as if the system hasn't bent into pretzels to be fair to the killers.

And doesn't the Knoxville Horror story have everything? Having "everything" was the justification for saturation coverage of the Simpson trial.
 

In a message dated 12/1/2011 10:40:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, David in TN writes:

I just saw a tweet by Jamie Satterfield. She said she was "sick to my stomach."

[N.S. The Knoxville News Sentinel’s crime and courts reporter Jamie Satterfield is the only journalist to devote more time to the Knoxville Horror case than me—a lot more time.]
 

From: N.S.
To: David in TN
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: New Trials In Knoxville Horror

BTW, I just saw something by Tina at the Crime Victims Media Report, which I hadn’t read in a couple of years, with the title, “Why No Action in the Murder of Bria Metz? Or, How to Derail Justice by Driving Up Costs.”

Immediately, I thought of the KH case, but also of so many others we've covered, in which the trials and appeals, etc., drag on for years, if not generations (e.g., Troy Davis).

Tina talks about how the defense bar and killers, er, defendants, conspire to sandbag and milk the system. (Please pardon my mixed metaphors).

Like America’s other institutions, the criminal justice system is going to collapse, due to the constant rise in crime (notwithstanding professional “criminologists’” fairy tales asserting ever-more dramatic drops in crime), ever more frivolous demands for procedural protections and luxurious confinement; accompanied by a constant drop in resources, due to an ever-shrinking tax base and frivolous spending elsewhere (crazy wars, “stimulus” boondoggles, etc.). Either the fancy procedural protections will give, the authorities will start emptying the prisons and jails, as is already happening in California, or more likely, both.
 

In a message dated 12/2/2011 1:30:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, David in TN writes:

A further observation. In ruling for new trials, Judge Blackwood said nothing about flawed evidence or reasonable doubt. Where are ABC 20/20, CBS 48 Hours, and NBC Dateline?

5 comments:

Incorrigible Truthseeker said...

The Knoxville case has had so many elements of tragedy beginning from the time those poor children drove off in her SUV right up until this new psyche damaging revelation. Where will it end? How?
There are many people that have been affected by the actions of these demons in the guise of flesh, none more so than Channon and Chris themselves that almost as a pair of martyrs they suffered the ultimate worst, such a death of fear and degradation in the most primal and barbaric fashion that it's almost unreal and all without much of a whisper from the media.It's like some kind of fiction that you put down because it's too graphic, but as it's been said, the truth can be stranger.
It's the father of Channon that I worry for whenever I see something new here about Knoxville, I don't think I have EVER seen so much pain on the face of anyone or anything as I have when watching the documentary of the case.(Yes, there actually is one, I believe it aired on I.D. channel)
I worry this poor man might not be able to take much more, you can plainly see this has affected every fiber of his being and he will never be at peace, regardless of any final outcomes but I pray for him that he is able to maintain a little longer especially with this new development. I have to admit, if I were in his shoes I would've snapped long ago.

DiverCity said...

The law in Tennessee probably compels this result -- a criminal court judge in this state acts as the "13th" juror. In his apparently inebriated condition, the judge could not, it is argued, fulfill that role. Hence, the defendants were denied a fair trial. I would much prefer to afford the defendants all the process (hanging, and that right soon) that they are, in my opinion, due. Unfortunately, prevailing jurisprudence and I don't see eye to eye.

Anonymous said...

My brother is an attorney and we talked on the phone about the latest developments. He said that there still wasn't any indication that Baumgartner had made procedural mistakes in the courtroom.

If Blackwood hadn't made the ruling, an appellate court would have. It is better to retry the case now rather than later.

David In TN

jeigheff said...

What I'm about to write might sound hopelessly naive and optimistic. But if the black racist kidnappers/rapists/torturers/murderers get new trials, is there ANY hope that they might get the death sentences they deserve? I know, it doesn't seem likely at this point. But I was aghast at almost all of the original verdicts. Foolish as this might sound, I can only hope that justice might be served should the evil ones get new trials, even though things seem to be going their way at the moment.

I do understand, however, why the publicity of these crimes was suppressed in the first place. In my opinion, the wicked people in this country who support these black racist criminals are pushing their luck in seeking new trials and keeping this whole business public. Had there been no new trials, this miserable story could have cooled down, to the benefit of the perps. These crimes now stand the risk of heating up again, and maybe even making it into national news, which is where they deserve to be exposed.

Please feel free to set this dreamer straight. But I know that everyone (well, almost everyone) reading this is yearning for justice too. My prayers are also with the parents and loved ones of Channon and Chris. They are shouldering a horrible burden of ongoing misery.

DiverCity said...

Unfortunately, jeigheff, the defendants cannot receive sentences more harsh than they got in their first trials. The courts have held that this would violate the double jeopardy clause.