Thursday, March 03, 2011

New York Had a Taste of Spring Yesterday: Bang, Bang, Bang!

By Nicholas Stix

I never look forward to beautiful weather in New York, because New Yorkers are then at their worst. It takes some rain or snow to muzzle their worst instincts, but when the sun shines, and the air is warm, they let loose their inner beast.

Yesterday we had balmy weather in the 50s. At about 1:10 p.m., while The Boss was riding the city bus by Beach 54th Street, at the beginning of the black Arverne section of the Rockaways, a skinny little black kid, who looked to be about 15 years old, ran out on the street, shot at someone on the other side of the street, pulled up a hoody and ran back onto the sidewalk, towards a doorway.

Several black riders were apparently familiar with this scenario, and immediately ducked, while shouting at the driver, “Drive! Drive! Drive!” (Apparently, they were afraid he’d react by stopping.)

In the bus’ wake, The Boss now heard the response, “Pop! Pop! Pop!” from the other side of the street.

When I lived in Far Rockaway, just two miles away from where yesterday’s shooting took place, I knew taxi drivers who refused to go to the projects on Beach 52-54th Street. Based on hard-won experience, they just assumed that if they got a call from there, it was a set-up to rob them.

But this gunfight never happened.

I just checked Google News, and after fighting off its changes of what I wanted to find, found no entry about the gunfight. (I would enter, “New York,” which Google News would change to New York Times (no quotes). I would re-enter “New York,” which GN would then change to New York Giants (no quotes). I also found nothing in regular Google under ‘Queens” and “gunfight” during the “past 24 hours.” So, I guess it never happened. If the NYPD and the media don’t report it, it never happened, right?

That’s the secret to New York being the nation’s “safest big city.” And non-reporting is a lot less messy than having to unhappen crime, the way the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper had to do it, following the Hurricane Katrina anarchy in September, 2005, in order to prevent racist whites from stereotyping New Orleans’ wonderful black residents.

When I lived in Far Rockaway, I used to hear about murders all the time that never made it to the news. I still have no idea if people were just being creative.

A cabbie once told me that there were four separate murders on or near Far Rock’s Cornaga Avenue during the same Friday night in December, 1994, in the course of five or six hours.

One or two of the killings would statistically have gone towards Friday’s count, but the media would have counted them all as occurring on the same night—if they had counted them.

So, was the cabbie just telling stories, perhaps in an effort to ensure his ridership? I dunno. I only know that, true or false, I never heard of a four-murder night in Far Rockaway from the media.

Today, the wind chill is 6 degrees f., so it’s as safe as it’s ever going to get in this town.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you cab be riding down the street about the middle of the day and a gunfight is taking place? We are always hearing from the MSM that crime is "way down."

David In TN

Anonymous said...

You should call the precinct, identify yourself as a journalist, and ask about it. It's possible no one reported it.

Eddie Willers said...

Reminds me of the situation here in northern Mexico with the fallout from the drug war.

On one memorable occasion, I discovered news of a nightclub shooting that killed 18 people - here in my home town of Tampico - by reading the China National News Service.

Anonymous said...

I saw a UFO land in front of my house today. But I checked on Google News, and found no entry about the UFO I saw. I assume you will believe me anyway, considering you expect me to believe you.

Look up "burden of proof".

Nicholas Stix said...

Dear Anon SUNDAY, MARCH 6, 2011 10:47:00 PM EST,

“I assume you will believe me anyway, considering you expect me to believe you.”

Your foregoing sentence contains at least four false assumptions:

1. That I will believe you;
2. That I expect you to believe me;
3. Symmetry; and
4. That I would consider a transparently racist, dishonest, hostile leftist the moral equal to my wife as a reporter.

You have just left no fewer than four hostile responses at different entries that leave no doubt that:

1. You will never admit to any black-on-white murder being racially motivated, which amounts to a loyalty oath in support of racist black murderers;
2. You will likewise never admit that ultraviolent, racist black felons firing at a trainload of people headed for a white neighborhood have any idea that they are firing at white people;
3. Which leads me to conclude that you define blacks as incapable of racism, and whites as inherently racist.

I’m sure you always throw “burden of proof” in the face of blacks who complain of being victims of “white racism.” Not!

Are you still celebrating Mr. Baker’s murder?

Look up “leftist troll.”

Love,

Nicholas Stix

Nicholas Stix said...

Dear David,

I have no idea, because I don't know the pervasiveness of the suppression. However, in this case I followed the next commenter's advice and called the precinct and the NYPD's DCPI office, and the people I spoke to at both places had never heard of it. I suppose it's possible that no one called 911. (In which case, the issue becomes the pervasiveness of the non-response by witnesses.)

I also recall calling 911 the first time--in 1994 or '95--I heard shots fired one night on my street in Far Rockaway, in a similar neighborhood two miles away. They never sent a car to check it out, and I never called again when I heard shots fired. That occurred 2-3 times per week, but never again sounded like it was right on my block.

Anonymous said...

"racist, dishonest, hostile leftist"

Hostile, yes. I came across your blog and was disgusted. Dishonest, well duh, of course the UFO story is fake; I put it there for the purpose of sarcasm. But racist? That would be odd, considering that my disgust towards your blog stems from its promotion of racism.

"1. You will never admit to any black-on-white murder being racially motivated"

False. I am a skeptic. I DEMAND TO BE CONVINCED regarding the motives of any crime. If you claim a crime is racially motivated, you had better be able to back up your claim rigorously. If you can't back it up, don't make the claim. That is all.

"2. You will likewise never admit that ultraviolent, racist black felons firing at a trainload of people headed for a white neighborhood have any idea that they are firing at white people"

False. Again, I will believe your claim if, and only if, your evidence is solid. And that is the way it should be. Anyone who believes claims without evidence is vulnerable to manipulation.
Skepticism prevents this.

The train being "headed for a white neighborhood" is not evidence. It about the same level of evidence that led people to believe that there were WMDs in Iraq, and we all know how that turned out.

"3. Which leads me to conclude that you define blacks as incapable of racism, and whites as inherently racist."

False. Take a step back, Nicholas. I merely DEMAND EVIDENCE for your claims, a reasonable and righteous thing to do. Yet instead of congratulating me for my healthy skepticism (which is rare enough these days), you jump to the conclusion that I disbelieve in the existence of black racists. This kind of prejudice reflects poorly on you, not on me.

For the record, I believe there are racists of all races, and non-racists of all races.

"Are you still celebrating Mr. Baker’s murder?"

No, but I suspect you are, since it gives you an opening to push your propaganda to the gullible.