Friday, November 20, 2020

Nolan Arenado as The Shootist (New Defensive Highlights Video)

By Nicholas Stix

(Update: Arenado has won his eighth consecutive gold glove, since this video was posted at Youtube.)

Nolan Arenado as J.B. Books: ‘Other infielders will hesitate, and double-clutch; I won’t.’

Yes, the man has incredible range, hands, and foot work, but I’ve never before seen a third baseman who could routinely make throws that look impossible, and throw out hitters who are busting it down the line, whether by a half-step or a mile. That’s due to his arm strength, accuracy, and quick release.

He needs two more years to qualify, but assuming he does, Arenado should make it into Cooperstown. Not, however, for his offense. Like so many Rockies stars, he’s rolled up big offensive numbers playing half of each year in Denver. But he may be the greatest defensive third baseman in the history of the game.

I can see where announcers run out of superlatives, and Arenado’s brilliance can start to seem boring.

Watching the video below reminded me of Omar Vizquel, when I saw him playing for the Giants against my Mets, in his dotage, except that the 40-something Vizquel played with the passion of a rookie.

Nolan Arenado Defensive Highlights
•Sep 8, 2020
 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cuban/PR.Yes,a great player but I could live without him in American sports.
--GRA